About This Chapter
Life in Ancient China - Chapter Summary
These mobile-friendly ancient Chinese history lessons can benefit teachers who want to enhance the quality of their instruction and engage their students with interesting facts about life in ancient China.
The chapter's fun video lessons can be shared with your students at any time, and they include quizzes to help your students retain critical information. The chapter's lessons cover historical facts about early Chinese civilization, as well as the Shang, Zhou, Qin and Han dynasties.
How It Helps
- Convenient lesson supplements: You can integrate these lessons into your history curriculum in any way you see fit. Share them with your students before class lectures, or assign them as homework.
- Accurate history instruction: Our expert history instructors offer well-researched and accurate facts about life in ancient China.
- Student engagement: The chapter's resources explain ancient Chinese history topics in a fun and entertaining manner.
Use this chapter to teach your students about:
- Ancient China's geography and early settlements
- The Huang-He River Valley's early civilizations
- The Shang and Zhou dynasties of ancient China
- Zhou dynasty legalism and Taoism
- The historical timeline of the Zhou dynasty
- Legalism during the Qin dynasty
- Characteristics of the Han dynasty
- The Silk Road
1. How Geography Isolated Ancient China
Unlike many other ancient cultures, China was effectively isolated from many other early civilizations. Geography played a huge role in this isolation - this lesson will help you learn how.
2. Early Chinese Civilization in the Huang-He River Valley
Although Chinese civilization developed along rivers much like cultures in Mesopotamia and Egypt, the idea of royal power took a completely different direction. Learn how the Mandate of Heaven ruled all in Ancient China.
3. Ancient China: Shang & Zhou Dynasties
In this lesson, we will study the Shang and Zhou Dynasties. We will pay close attention to the founding, major accomplishments and characteristics, and decline of these dynasties.
4. Zhou Dynasty: Definition, Facts & Timeline
China's history is often divided into periods of powerful dynasties. In this lesson, we are going to explore the Zhou Dynasty, and see what impact they had on Chinese culture.
5. The Qin Dynasty in China: The Great Wall & Legalism
In this lesson, we will explore the short-lived but powerful Qin Dynasty of China. We will examine the dynasty's founding, life under Qin rule, the Qin legacy, and the downfall of the Qin.
6. China During the Ming & Qing Dynasties (1368-1911)
The last two dynasties in Chinese history were the Ming and the Qing. Although quite different, they faced many of the same issues, and often the Qing copied the Ming, even in their mistakes.
7. The Han Dynasty in China: Characteristics, Wu Ti & Xiongnu
In this lesson, we will explore China's Han dynasty. We will discover the ups and downs of its history and learn about some of its major characteristics and accomplishments.
8. What Is the Silk Road? - Goods & Ideas Crossing China
In this lesson, you will explore the history of the famous Silk Roads that connected civilizations as far apart as Persia, Greece, and China. Then, test your understanding with a brief quiz.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Middle School Social Studies Teacher Resources course
- Early Hominin Evolution
- Ancient Sumerian Cities & Culture
- Ancient Mesopotamian Empires
- Ancient Egyptian Culture & Structures
- Life in Ancient India
- Ancient Greece Culture & Politics
- Ancient Roman Empire
- World Religions & Beliefs
- European Life in the Middle Ages
- The Empires of Rome
- Religion & Culture of Islam
- The Christian Crusades
- Early West African Culture & Development
- Imperial China Overview
- Life in Medieval Japan
- The Maya, Aztec & Inca Peoples
- European Renaissance Overview
- The European Protestant Reformation
- Exploration of the New World
- Origins of Modern Science
- The Enlightenment Era
- European Exploration of the Americas
- The First Colonies in America
- The American Revolution Causes & Consequences
- Early American Government Origins & Documents
- Origins of the American Republic
- The Jefferson Presidency in America
- The Jackson Presidency in America
- American Expansion of the 1800s
- American Reform Movements in the 1800s
- Origins of the American Civil War
- Overview of the United States Civil War
- The Civil War Reconstruction Era
- The Second Industrial Revolution in the USA
- American Imperialism & The Progressive Era
- The United States & WWI
- American Life in the 1920s
- The Great Depression, New Deal & The USA
- The United States & WWII
- America During the Cold War
- USA Presidents & Movements of the 1960s & 1970s
- Contemporary American Movements & Presidents