About This Chapter
Life in Medieval Japan - Chapter Summary
This convenient online teacher resource chapter offers a variety of medieval Japan lessons that you can incorporate into your history curriculum. You can share these expertly taught video lessons with your students to help them learn about various periods of Japanese history, as well as medieval Japanese art, literature and more. These resources are accessible on any device that has an Internet connection, and each lesson comes with a quiz that you can use to assess your students' understanding of the material.
How It Helps
- Expert history instruction: These lesson supplements cover important aspects of medieval Japanese history.
- Easy classroom integration: These online lessons can be incorporated into your classroom on any computer or mobile device.
- Student engagement: The included lessons are taught in a simplified and fun teaching style, which helps your students have fun while learning about life in medieval Japan
Completing this chapter will help you teach your students about:
- Japan's Heian period
- The Kamakura period's lord-vassal system
- 12th-century Japanese military society and samurais
- Japan's feudal class system
- 9th and 10th-century Japanese art, drama and literature
1. The Heian Period in Japanese History
Japan has a long history, but many traditional Japanese cultural practices can be traced back to a specific era. In this lesson, we'll explore the Heian period and see how this redefined Japan.
2. The Lord-Vassal System During Japan's Kamakura Period
In this lesson you will explore the system of lords and vassals that changed Japanese society during the Kamakura Period in Japanese history. Then, you will test your understanding with a brief quiz.
3. Japanese Military Society & Samurais in the 12th Century
In this lesson, you will explore the rise of the samurai and the Japanese military culture of the 12th century. Then, test your understanding with a brief quiz.
4. Japanese Feudal Class System
In this lesson we take a look at the highly stratified system of class during the Japanese feudal period. We'll look at the relationships between classes as well as see who fits and who doesn't.
5. Japanese Literature, Art & Drama of the 9th-10th Centuries
In this lesson you will explore the major developments of literature, art, and drama in the height of the Heian Period in Japanese history. Then you can test your understanding with a brief quiz.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Middle School Social Studies Teacher Resources course
- Early Hominin Evolution
- Ancient Sumerian Cities & Culture
- Ancient Mesopotamian Empires
- Ancient Egyptian Culture & Structures
- Life in Ancient India
- Life in Ancient China
- Ancient Greece Culture & Politics
- Ancient Roman Empire
- World Religions & Beliefs
- European Life in the Middle Ages
- The Empires of Rome
- Religion & Culture of Islam
- The Christian Crusades
- Early West African Culture & Development
- Imperial China Overview
- The Maya, Aztec & Inca Peoples
- European Renaissance Overview
- The European Protestant Reformation
- Exploration of the New World
- Origins of Modern Science
- The Enlightenment Era
- European Exploration of the Americas
- The First Colonies in America
- The American Revolution Causes & Consequences
- Early American Government Origins & Documents
- Origins of the American Republic
- The Jefferson Presidency in America
- The Jackson Presidency in America
- American Expansion of the 1800s
- American Reform Movements in the 1800s
- Origins of the American Civil War
- Overview of the United States Civil War
- The Civil War Reconstruction Era
- The Second Industrial Revolution in the USA
- American Imperialism & The Progressive Era
- The United States & WWI
- American Life in the 1920s
- The Great Depression, New Deal & The USA
- The United States & WWII
- America During the Cold War
- USA Presidents & Movements of the 1960s & 1970s
- Contemporary American Movements & Presidents