About This Chapter
Life Science Classification & Life Cycles - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, explore how we classify something as living and then examine how we classify living things. Additionally, study the components and processes involved in a variety of life cycles. In these lessons, you'll review:
- Measures for classifying something as alive
- How to use a classification system to organize living things
- Ways to classify living things based on characteristics
- Processes of the plant life cycle
- Embryonic development
- Life cycles of vertebrates and invertebrates
We work diligently to keep the learning experience refreshing as well as effective. Our instructors have developed inviting lessons to help keep you engaged in the educational process. To see how well you've absorbed the information from each lesson, self-assessment quizzes are available.
1. Characteristics of Living Things
Have you ever wondered what makes something alive? Learn more about the characteristics that classify something as living. These shared traits can be observed in all living things in the world around us.
2. Levels of Biological Organization
This lesson is about the organization of living things, or biological organization. Just like it can be helpful to organize your closet, scientists use a classification system to organize living things. This allows for clarity when talking about a species and provides information about an organism, just through the name!
3. How to Classify Living Things Based on Characteristics
How in the world do scientists classify living organisms? There are so many critters on earth, it seems really challenging. This lesson will explore how organisms are classified and will delve into the classification system.
4. What is a Life Cycle? - Definition, Stages & Examples
In this lesson, you'll learn the definition of 'life cycle' and find out about the three basic stages of a life cycle. You'll also explore examples of different life cycles.
5. Essential Elements of the Plant Life Cycle
People need essential vitamins, minerals, and proteins to live and reproduce, and plants also have a set of essential elements for similar purposes. This lesson discusses this subject.
6. Embryonic Development & Life Cycles of Invertebrates & Vertebrates
In this lesson we will compare and contrast the embryonic development and life cycles of vertebrates and invertebrates. You'll learn how they are similar and how they are different, and view examples.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the FTCE Elementary Education K-6 (060): Practice & Study Guide course
- About the FTCE Elementary Education K-6 Test
- Understanding Emergent Literacy
- The Reading Process & Comprehension Strategies
- Representations of Information in the Classroom
- Literary Analysis & Genres
- Understanding & Teaching the Writing Process
- Literacy Instruction & Assessment
- Classroom Organization & Grouping
- Communication & Media Literacy
- Social Science Instruction & Comprehension
- Cultural Contributions & Technological Developments in History
- World Civilizations & Historical Timelines
- Age of Exploration, Settlement & Growth
- Florida & U.S. History
- History's Impact on World Institutions
- Fundamental Geography Concepts
- Regional Divides & Connections
- Fundamental Government & Civics Concepts
- Fundamental Economics Concepts
- Strategies for Science Instruction
- Tools & Resources for Science Instruction
- Understanding the Nature of Science
- Scientific Data Interpretation & Analysis
- Interdisciplinary Nature of Science
- Basics of Physical Science
- Basics of Earth Science
- Basics of Space Science
- Cells & Organ Systems
- Interactions Among Living Things
- Basics of Plant Biology
- Mathematics Instructional Practices
- Interpreting Numbers, Data & Expressions
- Properties of Equality & Operations
- Solving Arithmetic & Word Problems
- Number Theory Concepts
- Fractions, Ratios & Integers
- Measurement, Data & Statistics
- Geometric Concepts
- Studying for FTCE Elementary Education
- FTCE Elementary Education K-6 Flashcards