About This Chapter
How it works:
- Begin your assignment or other abnormal psychology work.
- Identify the life-span development disorders concepts that you're stuck on.
- Find fun videos on the topics you need to understand.
- Press play, watch and learn!
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- As needed, submit a question to one of our instructors for personalized support.
Who's it for?
This chapter of our abnormal psychology tutoring solution will benefit any student who is trying to learn about life-span development disorders and earn better grades. This resource can help students including those who:
- Struggle with understanding developmental abnormalities, emotional and behavioral disorders or any other life-span development disorders topic
- Have limited time for studying
- Want a cost effective way to supplement their psychology learning
- Prefer learning psychology visually
- Find themselves failing or close to failing their life-span development disorders unit
- Cope with ADD or ADHD
- Want to get ahead in abnormal psychology
- Don't have access to their psychology teacher outside of class
Why it works:
- Engaging Tutors: We make learning about life-span development disorders simple and fun.
- Cost Efficient: For less than 20% of the cost of a private tutor, you'll have unlimited access 24/7.
- Consistent High Quality: Unlike a live abnormal psychology tutor, these video lessons are thoroughly reviewed.
- Convenient: Imagine a tutor as portable as your laptop, tablet or smartphone. Learn about life-span development disorders on the go!
- Learn at Your Pace: You can pause and rewatch lessons as often as you'd like, until you master the material.
- Define life-span development disorders.
- Understand the development of mental health from childhood through adolescence.
- Explain how developmental abnormalities in children affect learning.
- Differentiate between Asperger's syndrome and autism.
- Describe the characteristics of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder.
- Take a look at Joseph Renzulli's model of giftedness.
- Learn the causes and treatments of oppositional defiant disorder and conduct disorder.
- Explain how learning disorders are diagnosed and treated.
- Examine the different levels of mental retardation and discuss the causes and treatment.
1. Lifespan Development Disorders: Definition and Perspectives
Everyone grows and changes throughout their life, but why do some people have developmental problems? In this lesson, we'll look at common lifespan development disorders and major theories about how people develop them.
2. Mental Health Development During Childhood and Adolescence
Some mental illnesses can show up at any point in a person's life, but some first occur during specific stages of lifespan development. In this lesson, we'll look closer at some disorders that appear in childhood, adolescence, and old age.
3. Developmental Abnormalities in Children: Effects & Impacts on Learning
Developmental abnormalities in children have an impact on their learning and social skills. Examine an example in this lesson that will help you learn about the importance of early intervention.
4. Behavioral Characteristics of Children with Asperger Syndrome
If you have never met a person with Asperger syndrome, you might wonder how they differ from you. In this lesson, we'll explore the behaviors common to people with Asperger and other autism spectrum disorders.
5. Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder: Definition of ADHD
This lesson explores common characteristics of attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) as well as the best practices for teaching learners with this disorder.
6. Advanced Cognitive Development and Renzulli's Triad
In this lesson, we will explore advanced cognitive development in terms of a gifted child. We will also define what it means to be gifted and Joseph Renzulli's model of giftedness.
7. Oppositional Defiant Disorder & Conduct Disorder: Definitions, Causes & Treatments
Every child misbehaves sometimes, but what happens when someone acts out more than usual? In this lesson, we'll look at two behavior disorders: conduct disorder and oppositional defiant disorder.
8. Learning Disorders and Disabilities: Definition, Causes, Treatment and Diagnosis
Why do some students struggle to learn? What types of learning disabilities affect students? In this lesson, we'll look closely at three common learning disorders: dyslexia, dysgraphia, and dyscalculia.
9. Intellectual Disabilities: Definition, Levels, Causes, Prevention & Treatment
People with intellectual disabilities have low IQs and problems with daily functioning. In this lesson, we'll examine the levels of intellectual disabilities as well as the causes and treatments of them.
10. What Is ADHD? - Symptoms & Treatment
People diagnosed with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) experience extreme energy, inattention, and sometimes a combination of both. They also struggle with focused activities. Explore the disorder in this lesson, and test your understanding with a quiz.
11. What Is Sensory Integration Disorder in Children? - Treatment, Symptoms & Definition
It is estimated that the lives of 1 in 20 children are affected daily by sensory integration disorder. Learn more about sensory integration disorder, its symptoms, how it is treated, and more.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Abnormal Psychology: Tutoring Solution course
- Introduction to Abnormal Psychology: Tutoring Solution
- Research Methods in Abnormal Psychology: Tutoring Solution
- Clinical Research of Abnormal Psychology: Tutoring Solution
- The Biological Model of Abnormality: Tutoring Solution
- The Psychodynamic Model of Abnormal Behavior: Tutoring Solution
- The Behavioral/Learning Model of Abnormal Behavior: Tutoring Solution
- The Cognitive Model of Abnormal Behavior: Tutoring Solution
- The Humanistic-Existential Model of Abnormal Behavior: Tutoring Solution
- The Sociocultural Model of Abnormal Behavior: Tutoring Solution
- The Diathesis-Stress Model: Tutoring Solution
- Clinical Assessment: Tutoring Solution
- Introduction to Anxiety Disorders: Tutoring Solution
- Mood Disorders of Abnormal Psychology: Tutoring Solution
- Stress Disorders: Tutoring Solution
- Somatoform Disorders in Abnormal Psychology: Tutoring Solution
- Dissociative Disorders in Psychology: Tutoring Solution
- Eating Disorders in Abnormal Psychology: Tutoring Solution
- Sexual and Gender Identity Disorders: Tutoring Solution
- Substance Use Disorders: Tutoring Solution
- Psychotic Disorders: Tutoring Solution
- Cognitive Disorders in Abnormal Psychology: Tutoring Solution
- Personality Disorders in Abnormal Psychology: Tutoring Solution
- Factitious Disorders: Tutoring Solution
- Treatment in Abnormal Psychology: Tutoring Solution
- Legal and Ethical Issues in Abnormal Psychology: Tutoring Solution