About This Chapter
Life & Trends in Europe (1850-1914) - Chapter Summary
This collection of informative history lessons examines life and trends in Europe during the second half of the 1800s to the early 1900s. The chapter highlights the most important details regarding the technological and economic changes during this time period, as well as the political climates of England, France and Germany. You'll also take a look at major cultural trends of the time period. These lessons are designed to help you:
- Assess the impact Western Civilization advancements and changes to the world economy during the late 19th century
- Summarize the timeline of the Second Industrial Revolution and recognize its most important inventions
- Explain the politics of Victorian England, the Third French Republic and the Second Reich
- Understand the scientific, artistic, religious and philosophical trends of the mid-to-late 1800s and early 1900s
To supplement your studying experience, we've included plenty of practice quizzes to help you retain the information from each lesson. You can work through the chapter in sequence or jump to specific topics using interactive video timelines. This chapter can be studied at your own pace and you can use any computer or mobile device to access the lessons. Word-for-word lesson transcripts are available to print and our expert instructors will be happy to answer any questions you may have.
1. Advancements in Western Civilization at the End of the 19th Century: Examples & Impact
The end of the 19th century was a time when the workers of Europe had more money to spend and more time to engage in leisure activities. In this lesson, learn about changes in leisure activities, health, education, and women's rights.
2. The Second Industrial Revolution: Timeline & Inventions
The Second Industrial Revolution was another great leap forward in technology and society. New innovations in steel production, petroleum and electricity led to the introduction of public automobiles and airplanes. In this lesson, learn about the key inventions that spurred this revolution.
3. The 19th Century World Economy: Major Changes & Their Impact
During the late 19th century, changes in industrial production, trade, and imperialism led to a world economy. In this lesson, learn about the important factors that contributed to this system.
4. Politics of the Third French Republic, Victorian England & the Second Reich
The middle of the 19th century witnessed several political changes on the European scene. Many of these dramatic shifts centered on the states of France, Germany, and England. In this lesson, learn about the shifting political powers and changing governments of Europe during this time.
5. Science, Art, Religion & Philosophy in the Mid to Late 1800s & Early 1900s
The end of the 19th century and the beginning of the 20th century was a period of advances in scientific discovery, philosophy, religion, and artistic expression. In this lesson, learn about the influential ideas, individuals, and movements of the time.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the NY Regents Exam - Global History and Geography: Test Prep & Practice course
- Foundational Concepts of Global History
- Major Belief Systems of the World
- Prehistory & Early Civilizations
- Ancient China, India, & America
- History of the Ancient Near East
- Contributions & History of Ancient Greece
- Hellenism & Athens
- The Roman Republic Rises
- History of the Fall of Rome
- History of the Dark Ages
- Early Middle Ages Overview
- Overview of the Medieval Warm Period
- Overview of the High Middle Ages
- Overview of the Late Middle Ages
- History of the Renaissance
- The Age of Exploration & Discovery
- The Reformation Across Europe
- History of the Elizabethan Era
- Overview of Colonialism
- European Absolutism & Constitutionalism (1648-1715)
- Shifting Eastern European Power (1648-1740)
- 18th Century Empire & Expansion
- The Age of Enlightenment
- Bonaparte & the French Revolution
- Industrialization from 1700-1900
- Global Politics (1760-1848)
- Nationalism in Europe, Africa, Asia & the Americas
- 19th and 20th Century Imperialism
- Overview of World War I
- History Between World Wars
- Overview of World War II
- Western Civilization Post-1945
- Influence of Globalization
- About the NY Regents Examinations
- NY Regents Exam - Global History and Geography Flashcards