About This Chapter
How it works:
- Begin your assignment or other linear algebra work.
- Identify the linear equations and systems concepts that you're stuck on.
- Find fun videos on the topics you need to understand.
- Press play, watch and learn!
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- As needed, submit a question to one of our instructors for personalized support.
Who's it for?
This chapter of our Linear Algebra Tutoring Solution will benefit any student who is trying to learn linear equations and systems and earn better grades. This resource can help students including those who:
- Struggle with understanding how to write or graph a linear equation, apply the distributive property to linear equations, use a system of equations or any other linear equations and systems topic
- Have limited time for studying
- Want a cost effective way to supplement their math learning
- Prefer learning math visually
- Find themselves failing or close to failing their linear equations and systems unit
- Cope with ADD or ADHD
- Want to get ahead in linear algebra
- Don't have access to their math teacher outside of class
Why it works:
- Engaging Tutors: We make learning linear equations and systems simple and fun.
- Cost Efficient: For less than 20% of the cost of a private tutor, you'll have unlimited access 24/7.
- Consistent High Quality: Unlike a live algebra tutor, these video lessons are thoroughly reviewed.
- Convenient: Imagine a tutor as portable as your laptop, tablet or smartphone. Learn linear equations and systems on the go!
- Learn at Your Pace: You can pause and rewatch lessons as often as you'd like, until you master the material.
- Define and write a linear equation.
- Study how to apply the distributive property to linear equations.
- Learn how to solve linear equations with literal coefficients.
- Understand intercepts, graphing and the standard form of linear equations.
- Define and use a system of equations.
- Review how to solve problems involving systems of equations.
- Examine ways to solve simultaneous linear equations.
1. What is a Linear Equation?
Most cars won't be able to run for more than 250,000 miles, so how much longer will your car live? Linear Equations are the most basic kind of algebraic function and can help you answer questions exactly like this. Learn about what they look like, how they come up in your life and why they are powerful tools.
2. How to Write a Linear Equation
Simply knowing how to take a linear equation and graph it is only half of the battle. You should also be able to come up with the equation if you're given the right information.
3. Applying the Distributive Property to Linear Equations
When it comes to linear equations, there are certain steps you have to take to solve them. One of them is the application of the distributive property when you see a pair of parentheses. Watch this video lesson to learn how.
4. Solving Linear Equations with Literal Coefficients
In this lesson, we'll literally learn about literal coefficients. We'll look at how to solve linear equations that contain literal coefficients and practice solving several problems.
5. Solving Linear Equations: Practice Problems
With practice, linear equations can be straightforward to solve. In this lesson, we'll define linear equations and learn how to solve them. We'll look at multiple practice problems and walk through solving each one.
6. Linear Equations: Intercepts, Standard Form and Graphing
Do you know what to do if an equation doesn't look like y=mx+b?! If not, then this video is for you. Chances are the equation is in standard form, so we'll learn how to use standard form equations, how to graph them and why they can be helpful.
7. What is a System of Equations?
So what happens if we want to compare more than one equation? Welcome to a 'system' of equations! Learn what one is, how to solve them and when they come up in real life.
8. How Do I Use a System of Equations?
There are a few classic algebra word problems, such as the one about two trains traveling at different speeds. In this lesson, you'll learn how to take a word problem and convert it into the system of equations that will allow you to find the answer using either substitution or elimination.
9. Solving Problems Involving Systems of Equations
Did you ever encounter a problem where you seem to have lots of information, but still have a couple of critical numbers missing? In this lesson, we'll practice solving word problems that require us to set up systems of equations.
10. Solving Simultaneous Linear Equations
In this video lesson, you will learn how to solve simultaneous linear equations or a system of linear equations. Learn the steps you need to take to solve any such system using the Gaussian elimination method.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Linear Algebra: Tutoring Solution course