About This Chapter
Linguistics Lesson Plans & Resources - Chapter Summary
Use this chapter of linguistics lesson plans and other resources to build your teaching curriculum and implement class activities that will interest your students. You'll find lesson plans on morphemes, morphology in linguistics, root words and the Sapir-Whorf hypothesis. The chapter is accessible 24 hours a day from any computer, mobile phone or tablet, so you can plan your curriculum when and where it's convenient.
How It Helps
- Interesting activities: In addition to lesson plans, we've also provided games and activities you can use to capture the attention of your students.
- Reduces planning time: The chapter includes a variety of curriculum resources all in one place to reduce research time and take the stress out of planning.
- Provides background: We've included definitions and relevant examples of important concepts and terms to facilitate student understanding.
How It Works
This helpful resource offers teachers lesson plan resources with relevant tools to make planning linguistics lessons easy.
- Use lesson plan outlines for the linguistics topics you want to cover in class.
- Formulate your language arts class outline using the suggested classroom tools offered in the lesson plans.
- Share the related linguistics lessons with students in class to make learning fun and engaging.
- Use related lesson quizzes to ensure your students understand the most important linguistics concepts from the lessons.
- Engage your students with relevant linguistics-related activities, discussion questions or other materials found in the lesson plan outline.
1. Linguistics Lesson Plan
Your students use words all day long, but do they understand linguistics? This plan uses a text lesson to define and explain linguistics and provides activities to use to reinforce key concepts. Use our accompanying quiz to test understanding.
2. Morphemes Lesson Plan
This lesson plan can be used to teach student about morphemes. Students will watch a video lesson, discuss content, play a game, then take a quiz and do an application activity.
3. Morphology in Linguistics Lesson Plan
Use this lesson plan to teach students about morphemes. Two text lessons guide students through basic concepts of morphology, defining terms and supplying examples. Discussion questions, a quiz and activity are included.
4. What is Morphology in Linguistics? - Definition & Examples
Learning about human language is often an overlooked educational subject. Read this lesson to discover the importance of morphology in our linguistic world.
5. Morphology of English: Definition & Studies
Morphology is the study of parts of language and how we use these parts to form words. In this lesson you'll find out the building blocks of language and how to use these blocks to construct words and deconstruct sentences. A short quiz follows.
6. Orthography in Linguistics Lesson Plan
Educate your students about orthography in linguistics with this helpful lesson plan. Your students will study a text lesson, take a related follow-up quiz, and participate in two helpful, hands-on activities.
7. Orthography in Linguistics: Definition & Examples
There's a lot that goes into a language. In this lesson, we're going to explore written languages, see how they're different from spoken languages, and learn how orthographies are formed.
8. Etymology Lesson Plan
Teaching students about the etymology of words will help them in your class as well as many others from science and math, to history and art. This lesson plan uses a video, partner work, a group activity and a dictionary activity to teach students about the subject of etymology and foreign words found in English.
9. The Etymology of Words
Words are at the center of almost all forms of communication in our society. Watch this video lesson to learn about word etymology and how it affects our world.
10. Root Words Lesson Plan
Teach your students how to read, write, and identify root words with this lesson plan. With this lesson plan, students will watch an engaging video that outlines prefixes, suffixes, and root words as well as discuss and define key concepts. They will then play a fun game to make help the new info stick.
11. Spelling & Word Patterns: Prefixes, Suffixes & Root Words
How do we form words in our language? What gives them definitions? Watch this video lesson to discover how word parts like prefixes, suffixes and root words make up words and affect their meanings.
12. Prefix Lesson Plan
Help students understand what a prefix is and rules for spelling with this Study.com lesson plan. Students define terms, view examples, then put their knowledge to the test with a fun activity.
13. Prefixes: Definition & Examples
Learn how the meanings of simple words can be changed with the addition of a prefix. Using this knowledge, you will gain the skill of quickly unlocking the meanings of more complex words.
14. English Spelling Rules for Prefixes
Adding a prefix to a word changes that word's meaning. In this lesson, you'll learn how to spell words correctly when adding prefixes, as well as some exceptions to the rule.
15. Suffix Lesson Plan
Use this lesson plan to help you teach your students all about suffixes. Students will read an informational text that defines the term and includes reading samples, then work through examples in a guided learning experience. A fun game follows the lesson.
16. Suffixes Lesson for Kids: Definition & Examples
In this lesson, we are going to learn about word parts that can change the meaning of a word. These word parts are added to the end of a word. They are called suffixes.
17. Prefixes & Suffixes Games & Activities
A solid understanding of prefixes and suffixes can go a long way in helping students understand and correctly use new vocabulary. This lesson provides teachers with games and activities designed to teach students about prefixes and suffixes.
18. Alphabetic Principle vs. Phonemic Awareness
Alphabetic principle and phonemic awareness are vital skills for students to master as they learn to decode words. In this lesson, we will compare alphabetic principle and phonemic awareness.
19. Sapir-Whorf Hypothesis Lesson Plan
Use this lesson plan to introduce students to the Sapir-Whorf hypothesis. Students will engage in collaborative discussion around an informational text, and then they will apply their knowledge to a task using current events.
20. Chomsky's Language Acquisition Device Lesson Plan
This lesson plan can be used to teach students how children acquire language. Students will watch a lesson video, debate Chomsky's theory of language development, take a quiz and do a project focusing on language acquisition.
21. Chomsky's Theory of Language Lesson Plan
With this lesson plan, your students are going to learn about Noam Chomsky's theories on language. They will explore this by creating their own languages and debating language acquisition.
22. Etymology Games
Etymology, the study of word origins and changes in meaning, can be a fascinating topic if taught in a fun and engaging way. This lesson provides teachers with etymology games designed for classroom use.
23. Word Analysis Lesson Plan
This lesson plan for elementary students focuses on determining the meanings of new words, with special attention to word structure analysis. Your students will construct, deconstruct, and change words based on roots and affixes.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Language Arts: Lesson Plans & Games course
- Dialogue Lesson Plans & Activities
- Punctuation Lesson Plans & Resources
- Compare & Contrast Lesson Plans & Activities
- Language Arts Lesson Plans
- Phonics & Spelling Lesson Plans
- Vocabulary Lesson Plans & Activities
- Language Arts Games for 1st Grade
- Language Arts Games for 2nd Grade
- Language Arts Games for 3rd Grade
- Language Arts Games for 4th Grade
- Language Arts Games for 5th Grade
- Language Arts Games for 6th Grade
- Language Arts Games for 7th Grade
- Language Arts Games for 8th Grade