About This Chapter
How it works:
- Begin your assignment or other 12th grade English work.
- Identify the linking texts and media concepts that you're stuck on.
- Find fun videos on the topics you need to understand.
- Press play, watch and learn!
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- As needed, submit a question to one of our instructors for personalized support.
Who's it for?
This chapter of our 12th Grade English Tutoring Solution will benefit any student who is trying to learn how to link texts and media and earn better grades. This resource can help students including those who:
- Struggle with understanding the oral tradition, writing responses to art forms, interpreting the arts or any other linking texts and media topic
- Have limited time for studying
- Want a cost effective way to supplement their English learning
- Prefer learning English visually
- Find themselves failing or close to failing their linking texts and media unit
- Cope with ADD or ADHD
- Want to get ahead in 12th grade English
- Don't have access to their English teacher outside of class
Why it works:
- Engaging Tutors: We make learning how to link texts and media simple and fun.
- Cost Efficient: For less than 20% of the cost of a private tutor, you'll have unlimited access 24/7.
- Consistent High Quality: Unlike a live English tutor, these video lessons are thoroughly reviewed.
- Convenient: Imagine a tutor as portable as your laptop, tablet or smartphone. Learn how to link texts and media on the go!
- Learn at Your Pace: You can pause and rewatch lessons as often as you'd like, until you master the material.
- Learn strategies for finding meaning in different types of visual media.
- Discuss how examining a product and understanding the creation process can assist with art appreciation and interpretation.
- Discover ways to listen for meaning in audio performances and learn how major works passed down before written records.
- Examine how to find narrative, thesis and meaning in performance art.
- Demonstrate written responses to visual arts.
- Analyze how literature works address 'big picture' questions about the human experience.
- Address strategies used to facilitate speaking and listening in discussions.
1. Finding Meaning in Visual Media: Strategies & Examples
You know how to read a book. But do you know how to 'read' a painting? In this lesson, you'll get some strategies for interpreting visual media like painting, sculpture, and photography.
2. Experiencing and Interpreting the Arts: Looking at Process & Product
In this lesson, we'll consider how your knowledge of art can help you better understand and enjoy it. We'll look at the way that an interpretation of art depends on knowing its context and the process behind it.
3. Rhetorical Devices in the Oral Tradition
Have you ever kept someone from telling a story because you felt you could tell it better? Or maybe you'd love to be known for your ability to bring people in when you relate an event? Chances are you'll want to know about rhetorical devices.
4. Understanding Performance Art: Finding the Thesis, Narrative & Meaning
Learn how to 'read' a performance the same way you would read a book or story. In this lesson, we'll discuss strategies for identifying thesis, narrative, and meaning in the performing arts.
5. How to Write in Response to Other Art Forms
In this lesson, we'll look at the similarities and differences between writing about literature and writing about other art forms. We'll consider some of the qualities of good responses and some approaches to take when writing a response.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the 12th Grade English: Tutoring Solution course
- British Prose for 12th Grade: Tutoring Solution
- British Poetry for 12th Grade: Tutoring Solution
- British Plays for 12th Grade: Tutoring Solution
- Works by African American Writers: Tutoring Solution
- American Prose for 12th Grade: Tutoring Solution
- American Drama for 12th Grade: Tutoring Solution
- Literary Terms for 12th Grade: Tutoring Solution
- Essay Writing for 12th Grade: Tutoring Solution
- Using Source Materials: Tutoring Solution
- Conventions in Writing: Usage: Tutoring Solution
- Capitalization & Spelling: Tutoring Solution
- Elements of Grammar: Tutoring Solution
- Usage: Tutoring Solution
- Punctuation in Writing: Tutoring Solution