About This Chapter
How it works:
- Begin your assignment or other 11th grade English work.
- Identify the listening and viewing concepts that you're stuck on.
- Find fun videos on the topics you need to understand.
- Press play, watch and learn!
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- As needed, submit a question to one of our instructors for personalized support.
Who's it for?
This chapter of our 11th grade English tutoring solution will benefit any student who is trying to learn listening and viewing techniques and earn better grades. This resource can help students including those who:
- Struggle with understanding how to find meaning in visual media, interpret the arts, write in response to art forms, listen for meaning or any other listening and viewing topic.
- Have limited time for studying
- Want a cost effective way to supplement their English learning
- Prefer learning English visually
- Find themselves failing or close to failing their listening and viewing in 11th grade unit
- Cope with ADD or ADHD
- Want to get ahead in 11th grade English
- Don't have access to their English teacher outside of class
Why it works:
- Engaging Tutors: We make learning about listening and viewing simple and fun.
- Cost Efficient: For less than 20% of the cost of a private tutor, you'll have unlimited access 24/7.
- Consistent High Quality: Unlike a live English tutor, these video lessons are thoroughly reviewed.
- Convenient: Imagine a tutor as portable as your laptop, tablet or smartphone. Learn about listening and viewing on the go!
- Learn at Your Pace: You can pause and rewatch lessons as often as you'd like, until you master the material.
- Learn strategies for finding meaning in visual media.
- Look at the processes and products of different types of art.
- Find meaning in performance art.
- Write responses to different art forms.
- Explore works of literature that were passed down through the oral tradition.
- Explain what makes a discussion productive or not.
1. Finding Meaning in Visual Media: Strategies & Examples
You know how to read a book. But do you know how to 'read' a painting? In this lesson, you'll get some strategies for interpreting visual media like painting, sculpture, and photography.
2. Experiencing and Interpreting the Arts: Looking at Process & Product
In this lesson, we'll consider how your knowledge of art can help you better understand and enjoy it. We'll look at the way that an interpretation of art depends on knowing its context and the process behind it.
3. Understanding Performance Art: Finding the Thesis, Narrative & Meaning
Learn how to 'read' a performance the same way you would read a book or story. In this lesson, we'll discuss strategies for identifying thesis, narrative, and meaning in the performing arts.
4. How to Write in Response to Other Art Forms
In this lesson, we'll look at the similarities and differences between writing about literature and writing about other art forms. We'll consider some of the qualities of good responses and some approaches to take when writing a response.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the 11th Grade English: Tutoring Solution course
- 11th Grade Literary Terms, Theory, and Analysis: Tutoring Solution
- Anglo Saxon and Medieval Literature - 11th Grade: Tutoring Solution
- Shakespeare and Renaissance Literature - 11th Grade: Tutoring Solution
- Gothic and Romantic Literature - 11th Grade: Tutoring Solution
- 19th Century Literature - 11th Grade: Tutoring Solution
- 20th Century Literature - 11th Grade: Tutoring Solution
- African American Writers - 11th Grade: Tutoring Solution
- 11th Grade Contemporary Literature: Tutoring Solution
- Drama for 11th Grade: Tutoring Solution
- Interpreting Literature for 11th Grade: Tutoring Solution
- Literary Terms for 11th Grade: Tutoring Solution
- Basics of Writing Essays in 11th Grade: Tutoring Solution
- Reading and Understanding Essays in 11th Grade: Tutoring Solution
- Using Source Materials - 11th Grade English: Tutoring Solution
- Conventions in 11th Grade Writing - Usage: Tutoring Solution
- Elements of 11th Grade Grammar: Tutoring Solution
- 11th Grade Grammar Usage: Tutoring Solution
- Punctuation in 11th Grade Writing: Tutoring Solution