About This Chapter
Literacy Development in Early Childhood - Chapter Summary
In this chapter you will have the opportunity to check your familiarity with strategies aimed at encouraging emergent literacy. Educational activities geared toward developing children's expressive language are also reviewed. When you finish the chapter, you should also have a good handle on:
- Significance of the alphabetic principle
- Using phonics as a method for teaching
- Promoting positive attitudes towards reading
- Steps in literary passage analysis
- Activities that benefit reading fluency
Review the lessons in this chapter from any place where you can get on the web with a computer or a hand-held device. Video lessons are brief and information-dense, giving you a solid review of a major focus area in just about five minutes. Practice quizzes can be found with every lesson, letting you assess your understanding of the chapter's key topics.
1. Steps in Learning to Read
Learning to read is a multifaceted process. This lesson will explore the steps necessary to learn how to read and will end with a short quiz to test what you have learned.
2. The Alphabetic Principle & Learning to Read
Learning to read can often be a complex process for children, especially bilingual and other language learners. How does the alphabetic principle come into play? This lesson will explain how all children use the principle to develop reading.
3. Teaching Phonics in the Classroom
In this lesson, you will work toward being able to explain phonics as a teaching method, understanding the connection between phonics and phonological awareness, and understanding some activities and strategies to help with teaching phonics.
4. Activities that Promote Reading Fluency
Learning to read can be a fun and exciting experience for young students. Providing activities that promote reading fluency helps to improve a child's skill.
5. Encouraging Positive Attitudes About Reading
We can all agree that reading is essential for our students. How do we help them develop positive attitudes towards reading? This lesson contains a number of ideas to get you started promoting positive reading attitudes in your classroom.
6. How to Analyze a Literary Passage: A Step-by-Step Guide
In this lesson, we will examine the steps involved in the basic analysis of literature. Then, using a well-known fable, we will go through each step of analysis: comprehension, interpreting and drawing conclusions.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTTC Early Childhood Education (106): Practice & Study Guide course
- Early Childhood Development
- Developmental Learning Theories
- Factors Affecting Development
- Communication & Language Development
- Literacy Instruction in Early Childhood
- Writing Development in Early Childhood
- Early Childhood Writing Instruction
- The Positive Learning Environment
- Early Childhood Assessment Strategies
- Responsibilities of Early Childhood Educators
- Collaborative Relationships in Early Childhood Education
- Math Foundations & Concepts
- Numbers, Word Problems, & Reasoning in Math
- Foundations for Science Instruction
- Basic Concepts of Earth & Space
- Physical Science Terms & Properties
- Living Organisms & Ecosystems
- Concepts & Tools in Geography
- Studying & Comparing Cultures
- Overview of American History
- Civics & Economics in America
- Creative Instruction Through the Arts
- Childhood Nutrition, Health & Safety
- Physical Education
- MTTC Early Childhood Education Flashcards