About This Chapter
Literacy Development & Print Awareness - Chapter Summary
Rediscover literacy development and print awareness with this chapter of engaging lessons. You can review topics such as phonological awareness, the definition of phoneme, the significance of letter and punctuation recognition and others! Short multiple-choice quizzes give you quick and easy ways to gauge the amount of information you remember. The other subjects included in this chapter are these:
- Summary of phonological development in kids
- Advancement of phonological awareness skills
- Phonemic awareness and phonological awareness
- Impact of the environment on the development of print awareness
- Evaluation strategies for print awareness
- Letter-knowledge and sounds
- Examples of planning literacy instruction
The lessons in this mobile-friendly chapter are also short. Plus, you can complete them at your own pace. Send any questions you have about the lessons or quizzes to our expert instructors.
1. Phonological Development in Children: Stages & Overview
In this lesson you'll learn all about how children develop the ability to turn basic units of sound into actual language. We'll cover the major phonological skills and the stages of development. Following the lesson is a short quiz.
2. Development of Phonological and Phonemic Awareness Skills
Students learning to read need to be aware of sounds in speech. This lesson outlines these phonemic awareness skills and details age ranges for their development.
3. Instructional Strategies for Phonological Awareness
Phonological awareness is an important skill to learn young. This lesson will define this skill and show how to apply instructional strategies. We'll also highlight a few assessment techniques for phonological awareness skills.
4. Phoneme: Definition, Segmentation & Examples
Phonemes are tiny units of sound in speech. When phonemes are combined, they can make up words. In this lesson, we will discuss what phonemes are, how to segment them in words and why they are important.
5. Phonemic Awareness, Phonological Awareness & Decoding/Encoding Skill
This lesson is designed to define and describe the relationship between Phonological Awareness and Phonemic Awareness. This lesson also defines and describes the relationship between Phonemic Awareness and Decoding/Encoding.
6. Environmental Influences on Developing Print Awareness
Very young children begin to develop literacy skills by discovering the connection between what is written and what is spoken language. In this lesson, we will learn more about environmental factors affecting print awareness in early childhood.
7. Assessment Techniques for Print Awareness
To learn handwriting and literacy a student must have a grasp on print concepts. In this lesson, we will go over successful techniques that gauge whether or not a student has print awareness.
8. Importance of Letter, Word & Punctuation Recognition
In this lesson, we will discuss how we use letter, word, and punctuation recognition to determine meaning and sound--even if we do not know each word separately.
9. Letter Knowledge, Formation & Sounds
An early step in learning how to read is learning the letters of the alphabet and how they look and sound. This lesson will focus on the importance of letter knowledge, letter formation and letter sounds.
10. Planning Literacy Instruction: Activities & Examples
What is literacy, and how should we teach it? In this lesson, we'll look at how to teach reading and writing, with specific examples and activities to help guide educators.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the OSAT Elementary Education (CEOE) (050/051): Practice & Study Guide course
- Oral Language Development
- Early Literacy Word Recognition and Spelling
- Late Stages Literacy Word Recognition & Spelling
- Fluency & Reading Development
- Vocabulary Knowledge & Skills
- Reading Comprehension Instruction
- Understanding & Analyzing Literary & Narrative Texts
- Analyzing Informational & Expository Texts
- The Writing Process & Language
- Writing to a Specific Audience
- Elements of Literary Research
- Oral & Visual Communication
- Historical Concepts & Research Skills
- Government, Civics & Economics
- Fundamental Geography Concepts
- History Study Skills
- Oklahoma & U.S. Political History
- Global Political History
- Historical Analysis & Interpretation
- Number Sense, Numeration & Operations
- Algebraic Patterns, Equations & Functions
- Geometry & Properties of Shapes
- Measurement in Math
- Area, Perimeter, Surface Area & Volume
- Time, Proportions, Ratios, Rates, Velocity & Density
- Statistics & Charts
- Probability & Events
- Math & Problem Solving
- Mathematical Representation & Communication
- The Nature & History of Science
- Scientific Process & Inquiry
- Physical Science Fundamentals
- Earth, Space Science & Weather
- Types of Living Organisms
- Interactions Among Living Things
- Health & Fitness in Children
- Visual Arts Concepts
- Music, Drama, Theater & the Arts
- OSAT Elementary Education (CEOE) (050/051) Flashcards