About This Chapter
Literacy Instruction in the Classroom - Chapter Summary
Feel confident that you fully comprehend the basics of literacy instruction in the classroom by exploring this chapter's engaging lessons. Our instructors make it easy to grasp ways educators choose culturally diverse texts for the classroom, develop effective literacy intervention programs and implement learning centers for literacy instruction. Our lessons also ensure that you understand how educators do the following:
- Evaluate and select textbooks, picture books and chapter books for literacy instruction
- Review primary sources and choose media sources for literacy instruction
- Assess online resources and technology for literacy instruction
- Organize classroom spaces that motivate students to succeed in reading and writing
- Set up effective classroom libraries
- Use grouping for literacy instruction
- Implement writing and reading workshops
- Run effective literature circles in elementary school settings
Around-the-clock mobile access to this chapter enables you to study anytime and in any location that suits your personal schedule. Enjoy the ability to review our lessons in any order and as much as you'd like. As you navigate this chapter, feel free to take short quizzes to check your knowledge of the lessons you review. The Dashboard tracks your progress and lets you submit questions you have about specific lesson topics to our experts.
1. Evaluating Chapter & Picture Books for Literacy Instruction
How can literacy teachers evaluate books for their students to read? How can they choose the best picture and chapter books for their classroom? In this lesson, we'll answer these questions by looking at how to evaluate books' content and presentation.
2. What is Genre? - Definition & Types
Genre is a French word that means sort or style. It is often used to classify different types of art. In this lesson, we will define genre, learn why it's important and look at how genres evolve over time.
3. Choosing Culturally Diverse Texts for the Classroom
In this lesson, we will learn about using children's literature in the classroom to make instruction more relatable to diverse student populations, as well as to broaden the perspectives of all students.
4. Developing Effective Literacy Intervention Programs
This lesson encourages schools and teachers to think outside of the box in terms of developing literacy intervention programs that are motivational as well as effective for all students.
5. How to Use Grouping for Literacy Instruction
There are various ways to use instructional grouping for literacy instruction, such as heterogeneous grouping, dynamic grouping, cooperative learning, and peer tutoring. Learn how these grouping strategies give students opportunities to learn at their individual levels, as well as collaboratively.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the FTCE Prekindergarten/Primary PK-3 (053): Practice & Study Guide course
- Early Childhood Growth & Development
- External Factors in Childhood Development
- Developmental Theories of Learning
- Early Childhood Education Models
- Federal & State Laws on Education
- Early Childhood Education Professional Organizations & Trends
- Planning & Facilitating Early Learning
- Developmentally Appropriate Practices & the Classroom
- Student Guidance & Behavioral Management
- Using Assessment & Evaluation in Teaching
- Utilizing Technology in the Classroom
- Family & Community Involvement in Early Education
- Subject-Specific Teaching Strategies
- Serving the Educational Needs of Diverse Populations
- Emergent Literacy in the Classroom
- Literacy in Early Education
- Teaching Comprehension & Vocabulary
- Writing Processes & Development
- Early Childhood Mathematics Instruction
- Early Childhood Math Concepts
- Early Childhood Science Instruction
- Basics of Physical & Earth Sciences
- Basic Concepts in Life Science
- FTCE Prekindergarten/Primary PK-3 Flashcards