About This Chapter
Literary Analysis - Chapter Summary and Learning Objectives
It's not easy to test someone's ability to analyze literature. So much is left up to interpretation, how do you know if you're drawing the right conclusions from a piece of text? The lessons in this chapter aim to take the stress out of literary analysis and arm you with tips and tricks you can use to ace your next exam. After watching our brief video presentations, you'll be able to do the following:
- Explain why studying and analyzing literature is important.
- Analyze a piece of prose or poetry for its underlying meaning.
- Identify the significance of elements like plot, characters and setting.
- Define various literary terms.
|Overview of Literary Periods and Movements||Get an overview of major literary periods and movements, including the Medieval Period, the Renaissance, the Enlightenment, Romanticism and Victorianism, and Modernism and Postmodernism.|
|How to Analyze a Literary Passage: A Step-by-Step Guide||Examine the three steps involved in basic analysis of literature: comprehension, interpretation and drawing conclusions.|
|How to Answer Multiple Choice Questions About Literature: Test-Taking Strategies||Learn how to look at literary text, the question itself and given choices to correctly answer multiple choice questions about literature.|
|Glossary of Literary Terms in Prose||Define literary terms related to prose, including conflict, narrative, plot and resolution, among others.|
|Literary Terms in Poetry: Terms & Definitions||Learn technical, literary and genre terms related to poetry, including verse, stanza, emphasis and meter, among others.|
1. Overview of Literary Periods and Movements: A Historical Crash Course
When it comes to studying literature, there's about 1500 years of it to take in - and that's just in the English language! Fortunately, you can check out our crash course of key literary movements to see how the art form has developed over time.
2. How to Analyze a Literary Passage: A Step-by-Step Guide
In this lesson, we will examine the steps involved in the basic analysis of literature. Then, using a well-known fable, we will go through each step of analysis: comprehension, interpreting and drawing conclusions.
3. How to Answer Multiple Choice Questions About Literature: Test-Taking Strategies
In this lesson, we will examine test taking strategies involved in answering multiple-choice questions about literature. Breaking the process down into manageable parts, we will take a look at the literary text, the question itself, and then the given choices.
4. Glossary of Literary Terms: Prose
The study of literature is a broad, diverse field. However, there's some general knowledge you should have before you dive in. Check out these terms to get a handle on the basics of prose study.
5. Glossary of Literary Terms: Poetry
Before you start your study of poetry, you'll want to have these technical, literary and genre terms at your disposal. Read on to learn the basics of analyzing poetry!
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the American Literature: Help and Review course
- Analysis of American Literature
- Literary Analysis: Help and Review
- Colonial and Early National Period in Literature: Help and Review
- Romantic Period in Literature: Help and Review
- Dark Romantics: Help and Review
- Transcendentalism in Literature: Help and Review
- Realism in Literature: Help and Review
- Modernist Prose and Plays: Help and Review
- Modernist Poetry: Help and Review
- The Harlem Renaissance and Literature: Help and Review
- Literature of the Contemporary Period: Help and Review
- Research Skills for English Language Arts
- Parts of an Essay: Help & Review