About This Chapter
Who's It For?
Anyone who needs help studying literary devices in Heart of Darkness will benefit from the lessons in this chapter. There is no faster or easier way to learn about the literary devices in the book. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who want to learn a broad topic in a short amount of time
- Students who are looking for easy ways to identify the most important information on the topic
- Students who have fallen behind in their studying of Heart of Darkness
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning literature (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who have limited time to study for an upcoming exam
How It Works:
- Watch each video in the chapter to review all key topics.
- Refer to the video transcripts to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with a short quiz.
- Complete your review with the Literary Devices in Heart of Darkness chapter exam.
Why It Works:
- Study Efficiently: The lessons in this chapter cover only information you need to know.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging instruction makes the content simple to comprehend.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Take the Literary Devices in Heart of Darkness chapter exam to make sure you're prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any question on the novel. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: View lessons on any web-ready device.
Students Will Review:
This chapter summarizes the material students need to know about the literary devices in Heart of Darkness for a standard English course. Topics covered include:
- Symbolism in Heart of Darkness
- The presence of irony in the novel
- Quotes exemplifying imagery within the book
- Allusions and foreshadowing in Heart of Darkness
- Interpreting metaphors in the novel
1. Heart of Darkness Symbols
Joseph Conrad's 'Heart of Darkness' is full of symbolism. In this lesson, you'll learn about the portrayal of symbols in the novel, including both inanimate objects and characters.
2. Irony in Heart of Darkness
Irony is a very common and interesting literary device. In this lesson you'll learn about irony and how it is used in Joseph Conrad's novel 'Heart of Darkness.'
3. Imagery in Heart of Darkness: Quotes & Examples
In this lesson, we'll look at some of the important imagery used in Joseph Conrad's 'Heart Of Darkness.' Dark imagery is applied to the Company and the adventure overall, and fog and the river are used to evoke mystery and dread.
4. Allusions in Heart of Darkness
Many authors use allusion to tie their novel in to different aspects of the outside world. In this lesson, you'll learn about the different types of allusions that appear in Joseph Conrad's ''Heart of Darkness.''
5. Foreshadowing in Heart of Darkness
In literature, authors often give hints about what is going to happen in the story using foreshadowing. In this lesson, you'll learn about foreshadowing in Joseph Conrad's ''Heart of Darkness.''
6. Metaphors in Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad's ''Heart of Darkness'' is loaded with dozens of metaphors that unfold throughout the novella. In this lesson, we will cover darkness, the Congo River, and women, three prominent metaphors in the novella.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.