About This Chapter
Who's It For?
Anyone who needs help understanding the historical and literary context of The Metamorphosis will benefit from the lessons in this chapter. There is no faster or easier way to study the novel's author, genre and influence. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who want to learn a broad topic in a short amount of time
- Students who are looking for easy ways to identify the most important information on the topic
- Students who have fallen behind in understanding the context of The Metamorphosis
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning about literature (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who have limited time to study for an upcoming exam
How It Works:
- Complete each lesson in the chapter to review all key topics.
- Refer to the lesson to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with a short quiz.
- Complete your review with the Literary & Historical Context of The Metamorphosis chapter exam.
Why It Works:
- Study Efficiently: The lessons in this chapter cover only information you need to know.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging instruction and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Take the Literary & Historical Context of The Metamorphosis chapter exam to make sure you're prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any literature question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: View lessons on any web-ready device.
Students Will Review:
This chapter summarizes the material students need to know about the literary context of The Metamorphosis for a standard literature course. Topics covered include:
- The life and works of author Franz Kafka
- A book summary of The Metamorphosis
- The year that The Metamorphosis was written
- Analysis of the book's setting
- The meaning of the term Kafkaesque
1. Franz Kafka: Books & Biography
Franz Kafka, perhaps the most famous surrealist novelist of the twentieth century, published very little in his life. If not for the intervention of a dear friend, most of his genius would have been lost forever.
2. The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka: Book Summary
This lesson presents a comprehensive plot summary of Franz Kafka's novella, ''The Metamorphosis.'' The narrative tells the story of a traveling salesman who wakes one morning to find he's transformed into a giant insect.
3. When was The Metamorphosis Written?
Franz Kafka's novella ''The Metamorphosis'' is recognized as a masterpiece of world literature. In this lesson, you will learn about the artistic context and related works that led to the writing of the story.
4. Setting of The Metamorphosis: Analysis & Significance
Franz Kafka's ''The Metamorphosis'' is a novella with a big impact. Kafka attacks themes of isolation and confinement in a uniquely terrifying way. In this lesson, we'll explore the setting of the story and look at its relationship to the theme.
5. Kafkaesque: Meaning & Examples
Franz Kafka's short stories and novels of horrifyingly complex and absurd situations led to the coining of a new term: Kafkaesque. Read further to learn more about its definitions, examples, and misconceptions.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.