About This Chapter
Lodging Classifications - Chapter Summary
Our instructors present topics related to lodging classifications in this engaging chapter. You'll study a variety of different types of hospitality lodgings, as well as how they're classified and rated. These lessons are designed to be accessible to you 24 hours a day on your mobile device or computer so you can study at any time that is convenient for you. If you're getting ready for a test, the multiple-choice quiz following each lesson is a great way to test your understanding. Feel free to contact one of our instructors with any questions that you might have. This chapter is designed to help you:
- Identify different hotel classifications and types
- Detail the history of the 5-star hotel rating system
- Outline the different types of vacation resorts
- Discuss different types of passenger cruises
1. Hotel Types & Classifications
When you look at the hospitality industry, you will find there are many factors that affect hotels and lodging facilities. These factors help determine the type of property you are looking at. In this lesson, we'll take a look at specific hotel types and classifications.
2. The 5-Star Hotel Star Rating System: Definition, Differences & History
After this lesson, you'll know how the hotel star rating system started and what each star rating means. You'll understand exactly what people can expect at a hotel with a specific star rating.
3. Types of Vacation Resorts
While some travelers are just fine staying in hotels and motels, others are more demanding and prefer to stay at resorts. In this lesson, learn about the appeal of resorts along with the various types of resorts that are available.
4. Types of Passenger Cruises
After completing this lesson, you'll know about the different types of cruises people go on. We'll touch on luxury, adventure, sailing, and river cruises. Learn which option works best for you.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Hospitality 105: Introduction to the Tourism & Travel Industry course
- Overview of the Tourism Industry
- Consumer Behavior of Travelers
- World Tourism Organizations
- Tourism Policy & Planning
- Tourism Economics
- Lodging Operations
- Food & Beverage Operations
- Transportation in Tourism Management
- Recreation Organizations in Tourism Management
- Intermediaries in Tourism Management
- Global Issues Affecting Tourism
- Tourism Marketing
- Tourism & Hospitality Trends
- Tourism & Travel Careers
- Studying for Hospitality 105