About This Chapter
Who's It For:
Anyone who needs help learning or mastering logarithms material will benefit from the lessons in this chapter. There is no faster or easier way to learn logarithms in business calculus. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who have fallen behind in understanding logarithms in business calculus
- Students who struggle with learning disabilities or learning differences, including autism and ADHD
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning business (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who need an efficient way to learn about logarithms in business calculus
- Students who struggle to understand their teachers
- Students who attend schools without extra business learning resources
How It Works:
- Find videos in our course that cover what you need to learn or review.
- Press play and watch the video lesson.
- Refer to the video transcripts to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Verify you're ready by completing the Logarithms in Business Calculus chapter exam.
Why It Works:
- Study Efficiently: Skip what you know, review what you don't.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging animations and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Use the Logarithms in Business Calculus chapter exam to be prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any question about logarithms in business calculus. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: Watch videos on any web-ready device.
Students Will Review:
This chapter helps students review the concepts in a logarithms unit of a standard business calculus course. Topics covered include:
- Understanding and evaluating logarithms
- Exponentials, logarithms and the natural log
- Natural base e
- Change-of-base formula
- Basic and shifted graphs of logarithmic functions
- Logarithmic properties
- Solving logarithmic equations
- Exponential and logarithmic function behaviors
- Price elasticity of demand in microeconomics
1. What is a Logarithm?
Logarithms can help you solve exponential functions. In this lesson, you will learn about how to work with and recognize logarithms, and how to use logarithm notation with an example problem about earthquakes!
2. How to Evaluate Logarithms
Using this lesson, you can get practice evaluating logarithms, as well as learn some of the shortcuts behind writing and estimating them. You can also learn how to use your calculator to evaluate logarithms, and learn about a concept called the change of base theory.
3. Exponentials, Logarithms & the Natural Log
Use the properties of exponentials and logarithms to learn how carbon dating works. This lesson covers properties of a natural log and rules of logarithms.
4. Using the Natural Base e: Definition & Overview
In this video lesson, you will learn what kind of number 'e' is. Also learn the formal name for this unique number. See what kind of graph the natural base 'e' graphs into, as well as the uses of these types of functions.
5. Using the Change-of-Base Formula for Logarithms: Definition & Example
Logarithms have many uses in the real world. But what happens when the calculation uses a base other than the standard base 10? Watch this video to find out how to handle this situation and the formula to use.
6. Basic Graphs & Shifted Graphs of Logarithmic Functions: Definition & Examples
Watch this video lesson and you will see what the basic graph of the logarithmic function looks like. You will also be able to identify the kind of shifts that will occur by just looking at a logarithmic function when you finish the video.
7. Logarithmic Properties
Along with the change of base property, there are three other logarithmic properties that allow you to manipulate expressions to your advantage. Learn about the product rule, quotient rule and power rule here.
8. Practice Problems for Logarithmic Properties
As you get further and further into mathematics, logarithms will appear more and more. It's the point of this lesson to get you used to dealing with them and able to know what to do when you see a whole line of paper full of them!
9. How to Solve Logarithmic Equations
If you're ever picking out a telescope to see your favorite planet, make sure you do the math first! Learn how to solve the logarithmic equation that will get you the size telescope you want.
10. Behavior of Exponential and Logarithmic Functions
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to recognize exponential and logarithmic functions by looking at the end behavior of the graphs. You will also learn how the graphs change.
11. Price Elasticity of Demand in Microeconomics
Discover the definition and formula for price elasticity of demand. See some real-world examples of how it is calculated, and find out what it means for demand of a good to be inelastic or elastic.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Business Calculus: Help & Review course
- Functions for Business Calculus
- Working with Limits in Business Calculus
- Derivatives & Differentiation in Business Calculus
- Calculating & Graphing Derivatives in Business Calculus
- Derivatives of Functions in Business Calculus
- Optimization in Business Calculus
- Integrals in Business Calculus
- Growth Models in Business Calculus
- Multi-Variable Calculus