About This Chapter
Logic in Mathematics - Chapter Summary
Go through the chapter's lessons to develop a deeper understanding of mathematical induction. You will get to look at the uses of this type of induction and review some of its proofs.
Moving forward in the chapter, you'll examine the axiomatic system. Explore the properties of this system and see what it looks like by analyzing some examples. Once you have finished reviewing topics from this chapter, you should be able to:
- Define mathematical induction
- Describe the axiomatic system
- Identify the developments and postulates of Euclid's axiomatic geometry
The lessons in this chapter make learning about logic math principles a fun experience. All of the videos are taught by professional instructors who can answer any questions you may have. In order to see what type of math skills and knowledge you possess after finishing this chapter, use the self-assessment quizzes.
1. Mathematical Induction: Uses & Proofs
Watch this video lesson to learn about mathematical induction and how you can use it to prove mathematical statements. See how it is similar to falling dominoes.
2. The Axiomatic System: Definition & Properties
Learn what kinds of things are included in an axiomatic system in this video lesson. Also learn why consistency, independence, and completeness are important in axiomatic systems.
3. Euclid's Axiomatic Geometry: Developments & Postulates
Learn how the way we do proofs in geometry had its start with Euclid in this video lesson. Learn about his contributions to the geometry we know today. Also learn about the five basic truths that he used as a basis for all other teachings.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTTC Professional Readiness Examination (096): Practice & Study Guide course
- Basic Number Sense
- Fundamentals of Calculation
- Mathematical Reasoning & Problem-Solving
- Expressions, Functions & Operations
- Expressions & Equations in Algebra
- Understanding Algebraic Functions
- Using Algebraic Functions
- Polynomials, Rational Equations & Trigonometric Equations
- Introduction to Basic Geometry
- Measuring Geometric Figures
- Relationships Between Figures in Geometry
- Basics of Trigonometry
- Fundamentals of Statistics
- Bivariate Relationships in Statistics
- Using Tables & Graphs
- Interpreting Statistical Data
- Probability Overview
- Introduction to Conditional Probability & Diagrams
- Structure, Analysis & Word Meanings in English
- Literary Themes & Main Ideas
- Strategies for Effective Writing
- Reading Strategies & Literary Analysis
- Critical Reasoning for Test-Taking
- Conventions in Writing: Effective Usage
- Constructing Sentences & Paragraphs
- Argumentative Writing Overview
- Structuring Informational & Explanatory Texts
- MTTC Professional Readiness Flashcards