About This Chapter
Who's It For?
Anyone who needs help learning or mastering an understanding of this novel will benefit from the lessons in this chapter. There is no faster or easier way to learn about the characters in Lord of the Flies. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who want to learn a broad topic in a short amount of time
- Students who are looking for easy ways to identify the most important information on the topic
- Students who have fallen behind in memorizing the characters and their roles in The Lord of the Flies
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning literature (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who have limited time to study for an upcoming exam
How It Works:
- Watch each video in the chapter to review all key topics.
- Refer to the video transcripts to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with a short quiz.
- Complete your review with the Lord of the Flies Characters chapter exam.
Why It Works:
- Study Efficiently: The lessons in this chapter cover only information you need to know.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging animations and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Take the Lord of the Flies Characters chapter exam to make sure you're prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any literature question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: Watch videos on any web-ready device.
Students Will Review:
This chapter summarizes the material students need to know about characters in The Lord of the Flies for a standard course based around the novel. Topics covered include:
- Basic knowledge of all the main and supporting characters in the novel
- Understanding of each character's role in progressing the plot
- Knowledge of who plays the roles of protagonist and antagonist in the novel
- Understanding the relationships between the Littluns and Biguns
1. Characterization in Lord of the Flies
In this lesson, readers will learn about the main characters in the 'Lord of the Flies.' We'll then look at how author William Golding skillfully developed their personalities through the use of direct and indirect characterization.
2. Ralph, the Protagonist in Lord of the Flies: Character Analysis & Quotes
Meet Ralph, the protagonist in William Golding's novel, 'Lord of the Flies'. The boys elected leader, Ralph is left to helplessly watch his established order descend into chaos. His character represents the fragility of civilization.
3. Jack in Lord of the Flies: Character Analysis & Quotes
We meet Jack, a power-loving, charismatic villain in 'Lord of the Flies' by William Golding. Jack believes he should be the leader of the boys, but the idea of power takes him down a road filled with savage treachery.
4. Simon in Lord of the Flies: Character Analysis & Quotes
This lesson focuses on Simon, one of the main characters in William Golding's classic novel, 'Lord of the Flies.' Simon can be seen as a Christ-like figure in the novel, representing kindness, innate goodness, and self-sacrifice.
5. Piggy in Lord of the Flies: Character Analysis & Quotes
This lesson focuses on Piggy, one of the main characters in William Golding's classic novel, 'Lord of the Flies.' Piggy represents intellect, logic, and conscience in the novel, yet he meets his death in an act of thoughtless barbarism.
6. Roger in Lord of the Flies: Character Analysis & Quotes
In this lesson, we meet Roger, a character in William Golding's classic novel 'Lord of the Flies'. In Roger, Golding depicts the innate brutality and savagery he believed to be the true nature of the human heart.
7. Sam & Eric (Samneric) in Lord of the Flies: Character Analysis & Quotes
This lesson summarizes the significance of Sam and Eric, or Samneric, in 'Lord of the Flies' and provides quotations to support these ideas. You'll gain a better understanding of these characters and how they function in the novel.
8. Percival in Lord of the Flies: Character Analysis & Quotes
This lesson is a character analysis of Percival in William Golding's 'Lord of the Flies.' The analysis includes quotes from and about Percival and explores the symbolic function that Percival serves as a representative of childlike innocence.
9. Maurice in Lord of the Flies: Character Analysis & Quotes
In this lesson, you'll learn about Maurice in 'Lord of the Flies.' Specifically, you'll look at an analysis of his character and how it plays into the novel as a whole.
10. Who are the Littluns & Bigguns in Lord of the Flies?
In 'Lord of the Flies,' the stranded children separate into the 'littluns' and the 'bigguns.' In this lesson, you'll learn about these two groups and the characteristics of each one.
Lord of the Flies Character List & Flashcards
Characterization is crucial in William Golding's 'Lord of the Flies,' which tells the story of a group of boys stranded on an island. As the boys separate into two groups, their personalities play important roles in the ensuing power struggle. Use this flashcard set to gauge your knowledge of the novels' characters.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Lord of the Flies Study Guide course