About This Chapter
Who's It For?
Anyone who needs help learning or mastering synopses from each act of Macbeth and key quotes will benefit from the lessons in this chapter. There is no faster or easier way to understand the key components of each act and identify important quotes in this play. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who want to learn a broad topic in a short amount of time
- Students who are looking for easy ways to identify the most important information on the topic
- Students who have fallen behind in memorizing what happens in each act of Macbeth, along with notable quotes from each part
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning literature (visual and auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who have limited time to study for an upcoming exam
How It Works:
- Watch each video in the chapter to review all key topics.
- Refer to the video transcripts to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with a short quiz.
- Complete your review with the Macbeth Act Summaries & Quotes chapter exam.
Why It Works:
- Study Efficiently: The lessons in this chapter cover only the information you need to know.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging animations and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Take the Macbeth Act Summaries & Quotes chapter exam to make sure you're prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any literature question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: Watch videos on any web-ready device.
Students Will Review:
This chapter summarizes the material students need to know about the specific events and quotes that occurred in each act of Macbeth for a standard literature course. Topics covered include:
- Synopsis of the story's plot
- Detailed summaries of the scenes from acts 1-5
- Analysis of the play's climax and ending
- Review of noteworthy quotes from each act
1. Macbeth Act 1, Scene 1: Summary & Quotes
This lesson will begin with an introduction to William Shakespeare's 'Macbeth.' It will then include a summary of Act 1, Scene 1 of the play, and will end with a quiz.
2. Macbeth Act 1, Scene 2: Summary & Quotes
This lesson will go over the battles and military achievements that Macbeth achieves for the Scots in Act 1, Scene 2 of the play 'Macbeth.' It will include quotes along with explanations and an overall summary of the scene.
3. Macbeth Act 1, Scene 3: Summary & Quotes
This lesson will begin with a brief summary of Macbeth Act 1, Scene 2. It will then move on to a summary of Act 1, Scene 3, where the three witches foresee Macbeth's and Banquo's futures.
4. Macbeth Act 1, Scene 4: Summary & Quotes
This lesson will begin with a brief recap of Act 1, Scene 3 of Macbeth. We will then move on to a summary of Act 1, Scene 4, where King Duncan personally thanks Macbeth for his brave service and declares his son Malcolm heir to his throne.
5. Macbeth Act 1, Scene 5: Summary & Quotes
This lesson will begin with a brief recap of Act 1, Scene 4, of Macbeth. It will then continue with a summary of Act 1, Scene 5. Lady Macbeth learns about the witches' prophecies and takes matters into her own hands.
6. Macbeth Act 1, Scene 6: Summary & Quotes
This lesson will begin with a brief recap of Macbeth, Act 1, Scene 5. It will then include a summary of Act 1, Scene 6. King Duncan, his sons, Banquo, and other Scottish nobles arrive at Macbeth's castle, and are greeted by Lady Macbeth just outside the castle.
7. Macbeth Act 1, Scene 7: Summary & Quotes
This lesson will begin with a brief recap of Act 1, Scene 6, of Macbeth. It will then summarize Act 1, Scene 7. Macbeth no longer wants to kill King Duncan, but Lady Macbeth convinces him to go ahead with the plan.
8. Macbeth Act 2, Scene 1: Summary & Quotes
This lesson will go summarize Act 2, scene 1 of 'Macbeth, including Macbeth's talk with Banquo, his vision of a dagger, and his final decision to murder Duncan.
9. Macbeth Act 2, Scene 2: Summary & Quotes
This lesson explains what happens when Macbeth and Lady Macbeth carry out their plan to kill the king so that Macbeth can take his place. This lesson examines significant quotations from Act 2, Scene 2 and explores important motifs that appear in the scene.
10. Macbeth Act 2, Scene 3: Summary & Quotes
Act II, Scene 3 of Shakespeare's tragedy, ''Macbeth'' opens on a comic note but quickly moves toward the mayhem and madness that dominate the play. This lesson summarizes the scene and discusses some important quotations from it.
11. Macbeth Act 2, Scene 4: Summary & Quotes
This lesson will begin with a brief recap of Act 2, Scene 3 of Macbeth. It will then include a summary of Act 2, Scene 4. Macbeth is about to become king, and Malcolm and Donalbain are suspected of conspiring to kill Duncan.
12. Macbeth Act 3, Scene 1: Summary & Quotes
This lesson will begin with a brief recap of Act 2, Scene 4 of 'Macbeth'. We will then move on to a summary of Act 3, Scene 1, where Banquo considers the three witches' prophecies and King Macbeth sees Banquo as a threat.
13. Macbeth Act 3, Scene 2: Summary & Quotes
This lesson will begin with a brief recap of Act 3, Scene 1 of Macbeth. It will then go on to include a summary of Act 3, Scene 2. King Macbeth tells Lady Macbeth that he is worried about his throne, and has made plans to deal with the cause of his worries.
14. Macbeth Act 3, Scene 3: Summary & Quotes
This lesson will begin with a brief recap of Act 3, Scene 2 of Macbeth. It will then go on to include a summary of the events in Act 3, Scene 3. The two murderers are joined by a third, and set about to carry out King Macbeth's orders.
15. Macbeth Act 3, Scene 4: Summary & Quotes
In Act III, Scene 4 of William Shakespeare's ''Macbeth'', the title character discovers that one of his intended victims has escaped and encounters the ghost of another victim at a banquet.
16. Macbeth Act 3, Scene 5: Summary & Quotes
Act 3, Scene 5 of Shakespeare's 'Macbeth' is unique and even a bit controversial. The lesson provides a summary and key quotes from this distinctive scene from the dark and haunted play.
17. Macbeth Act 3, Scene 6: Summary & Quotes
This lesson will provide you with a general overview of Act 3, Scene 6 (III.vi) of the play 'Macbeth' and give you an idea of how to position the scene within a larger Shakespearean context.
18. Macbeth Act 4, Scene 1: Summary & Quotes
Act IV, scene 1 begins with the witches chanting around a cauldron, reciting the well-known formula for witch's brew. Macbeth comes upon them in the forest, and the witches summon three apparitions to foretell Macbeth's future. Suspecting that he might not be hearing the entire truth, Macbeth prepares to take matters into his own hands to ensure his place on the throne of Scotland.
19. Macbeth Act 4, Scene 2: Summary & Quotes
Act 4, Scene 2, of William Shakespeare's 'Macbeth' depicts the murder of Macduff's family by killers sent by Macbeth. The scene demonstrates that Macbeth will stop at nothing to maintain his position on the throne of Scotland.
20. Macbeth Act 4, Scene 3: Summary & Quotes
This lesson will provide a summary of Act IV, Scene 3 of the play, 'Macbeth' by William Shakespeare. Malcolm and Macduff have gone to England to gain help from the English for their war against Macbeth. In this scene, they become allies and vow to take Scotland back from Macbeth.
21. Macbeth Act 5, Scene 1: Summary & Quotes
Act V, scene 1 of Shakespeare's tragedy ''Macbeth'' is focused on the effects of Duncan's murder on Lady Macbeth. Previously Lady Macbeth supported her husband when, driven by ambition, he killed Duncan, king of Scotland. Now, apparently guilt-stricken, she is exhibiting some unusual behavior.
22. Macbeth Act 5, Scene 2: Summary & Quotes
While Macbeth attempts to fortify his castle, Duncan's son Malcolm and several noblemen have assembled an army to move against Macbeth. Rumors about Macbeth's state of mind and the makeup of his forces reach the noblemen, leading them to anticipate success in the coming battle.
23. Macbeth Act 5, Scene 3: Summary & Quotes
Get a glimpse into Act 5, Scene 3 of the play 'Macbeth.' Find out how dark comedy shakes things up in one of Shakespeare's bleakest and most dismal tragedies.
24. Macbeth Act 5, Scene 4: Summary & Quotes
In Act V, Scene 4 of William Shakespeare's 'Macbeth,' the noblemen and soldiers gather in Birnan wood to lay siege to Macbeth's castle and challenge his claim to Scotland's throne. The army plans to conceal itself with boughs from Birnan wood.
25. Macbeth Act 5, Scene 5: Summary & Quotes
In Act 5, scene 5 of William Shakespeare's ''Macbeth'', Macbeth learns that an army is marching toward his castle. Macbeth faces the exact scenario the witches have described: Birnam Wood moves toward Dunsinane Hill. As the castle readies for the siege, Macbeth is informed that Lady Macbeth has died.
26. Macbeth Act 5, Scene 6-7: Summary & Quotes
The battle for the throne of Scotland begins. Macbeth clings to the belief that he is invincible, subscribing to the witches' claims that none of woman born can harm him. Macbeth encounters Young Siward and slays him in battle. At the end of the scene, the army opposing Macbeth enters his castle.
27. Macbeth Act 5, Scenes 8-11: Summary & Quotes
In the final scenes of Shakespeare's ''Macbeth'', Macduff kills Macbeth. Poor Macbeth has already lost his wife and his life; and now he loses his head! Macduff presents Macbeth's severed head to Malcolm, the new king, who promises to share wealth and titles with those who helped eliminate Macbeth.
28. Climax & Ending of Macbeth
Get a glimpse into the concluding scenes of Shakespeare's 'Macbeth,' and learn what makes them climactic. You'll find out why the ending of the play can truly be called 'epic!'
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.