About This Chapter
Who's It For?
Anyone who needs help learning or mastering Macbeth characters material will benefit from the lessons in this chapter. There is no faster or easier way to learn about the key figures in this story. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who want to learn a broad topic in a short amount of time
- Students who are looking for easy ways to identify the most important information on the topic
- Students who have fallen behind in memorizing the characters from Macbeth
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning literature (visual and auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who have limited time to study for an upcoming exam
How It Works:
- Watch each video in the chapter to review all key topics.
- Refer to the video transcripts to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with a short quiz.
- Complete your review by taking the Macbeth Character Analysis chapter exam.
Why It Works:
- Study Efficiently: The lessons in this chapter cover only the information you need to know.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging animations and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Take the Macbeth Character Analysis chapter exam to make sure you're prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any literature question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: Watch videos on any web-ready device.
Students Will Review:
This chapter summarizes the material students need to know about characters found in Macbeth for a standard literature course. Topics covered include:
- Description of the main characters from the story
- Overview of the characterization of Macbeth
- Detailed analysis of specific characters, including Banquo, the witches, King Duncan and Macduff, among others
- Discussion of the similarities and differences between Macbeth and Banquo
- Notable quotes for key characters
1. The Character of Macbeth: Description & Analysis
In this lesson, you'll learn about the character of Macbeth and how he functions within the play of the same name. Take a look at the character description and analysis.
2. Characterization of Macbeth
You might be familiar with the protagonist of Shakespeare's 'Scottish Play,' but what do you really know about Macbeth? Get better acquainted with one of literature's most notorious figures in this lesson on the characterization of Macbeth!
3. Lady Macbeth: Quotes & Character Analysis
Coming from Shakespeare's play 'Macbeth,' Lady Macbeth is possibly one of the most villainous characters in English literature. Little does she realize what her guilty conscience will cost her. In this lesson, we will analyze her character and motivations.
4. Banquo in Macbeth: Character Analysis, Death & Characteristics
In this lesson we will explore the character of Banquo from Shakespeare's tragedy 'Macbeth'. Banquo nobly stands out as Macbeth's foil, and after his murder, he returns to haunt Macbeth, gravely reminding him that crime does not pay.
5. Compare & Contrast: Macbeth & Banquo
Macbeth and Banquo are two main characters in William Shakespeare's play 'Macbeth.' While the two men do initially have some similarities, we quickly learn that they are very different. In this lesson, we'll compare and contrast Macbeth and Banquo.
6. The Witches in Macbeth: Quotes, Analysis & Prophecy
The witches in 'Macbeth' are key characters that serve as the impetus for Macbeth's ambition and his eventual decision to commit murder. Explore more through quotes from the text, an analysis of the witches' character role, and a discussion on the role of prophecy.
7. King Duncan in Macbeth: Character Analysis, Murder & Quotes
Macbeth is one of William Shakespeare's most popular tragedies. It tells the story of the murder of King Duncan of Scotland by a general named Macbeth. Learn more about King Duncan and test your knowledge with a quiz in this lesson.
8. Macduff in Macbeth: Traits, Character Analysis & Monologue
Shakespeare's 'Macbeth' tells the story of Macbeth's rise as king and his eventual murder by a man named Macduff. Learn more about the character Macduff and test your knowledge with a quiz.
9. Malcolm in Macbeth: Traits, Character Analysis & Quotes
'Macbeth' is a classical tale written by William Shakespeare. Malcolm is a minor character who plays a major role in 'Macbeth.' Learn more about the character Malcolm and test your knowledge with a quiz.
10. Hecate in Macbeth
Get an introduction to the character Hecate from Shakespeare's ''Macbeth.'' This lesson explains what makes Hecate a ''problem'' figure for many scholars, but it also suggests a number of ways to examine and appreciate her character.
11. Young Siward in Macbeth
Young Siward is a minor character in William Shakespeare's play ''Macbeth''. However, his brief role in the play shows Macbeth's arrogance and the commitment of the English Army to end his reign as king.
12. Ross in Macbeth: Character Analysis
Although Ross is a minor character in Shakespeare's ''Macbeth'', he is responsible for delivering messages to the major characters of the play. In this lesson, we will discuss Ross and analyze his role in the play.
13. Fleance in Macbeth: Character Analysis
In William Shakespeare's play ''Macbeth'', Fleance is the son of Macbeth's friend and ally Banquo. Although he is not present for long in the play, his escape from Macbeth plays a significant role in Macbeth's decline and ambition to stay king.
Macbeth Character List & Flashcards
Are you reading William Shakespeare's famous play, 'Macbeth'? This flashcard set can help you to keep all of the characters straight as you read, so that you can better understand the shifting loyalties and murders in this tragic play.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.