About This Chapter
Maintaining and Monitoring Windows Server 2016 - Chapter Summary
Maintaining a properly functioning Windows Server 2016 requires attention to updates, upgrades and performance monitoring. This chapter provides information for those who currently work with Windows Server 2016 or those who wish to develop a skill set in this area. These short, engaging lessons provide provide you with practical knowledge and highly useable practice in these tasks. When you've worked through the chapter, you should be able to:
- Discuss the benefits and challenges of updates to Windows Server 2016
- Explain the steps for updates
- Tell about WSUS (Windows Server Update Services)
- Describe Windows Server 2016 Backup Utility and steps for its use
- Utilize PowerShell commands for updates
- Tell about rolling updates
- Recognize why monitoring is important
1. Windows Server Updates: Benefits, Challenges & Methods
Microsoft Windows Update helps keep your server up-to-date and therefore more secure. In this lesson, you will learn about using Windows Update and its benefits and challenges.
2. Windows Server Update Services (WSUS): Definition, Uses & Setup
This lesson defines what Windows Server Update Services is, describes its benefits and drawbacks, and explains how to setup and configure a new WSUS server.
3. Windows Server 2016 Backup Utility: Definition, Configuration & Management
In this lesson, you will learn the steps to use the Windows Server 2016 Backup utility including the types of data to back up, backup scheduling, and restoring system state data.
4. PowerShell Commands for Windows Server 2016 Updates: List, Uses & Examples
In this lesson, you'll learn Windows PowerShell commands used for Windows Server 2016 updates and administration. We'll cover backup commands and other related commands.
5. Rolling Upgrades & Virtual Memory Network Adapters in Windows Server 2016
In this lesson, we will discuss rolling upgrades in Windows Server 2016 and how they work to prevent service disruption during system updates. Additionally, we will discuss how Windows Server 2016 gives admins the ability to hot-add or remove virtual memory network adapters.
6. Windows Server 2016 Performance Monitoring: Tools, Elements & Importance
Server performance monitoring is important to ensure that services are always available to the end user. This lesson will explain the importance of performance monitoring, describe monitoring tools and discuss the elements that need to be monitored.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Computer Science 322: Windows Server Configuration course
- Windows Server 2016 Installation & Configuration
- Configuring Storage & Replication in Windows Server 2016
- File & Share Access in Windows Server 2016
- Installing & Configuring Hyper-V in Windows Server 2016
- Creating & Managing Active Directory Users & Computers in Windows Server 2016
- Active Directory Groups & Organizational Units in Windows Server 2016
- Configuring Network Services with IPv4 & IPv6 in Windows Server 2016
- DHCP & DNS Configuration & Deployment in Windows Server 2016
- Installing Windows Active Directory Domain Services in Windows Server 2016
- Ensuring High Availability in Windows Server 2016 Installations
- Clustering in Windows Server 2016
- Windows Containers in Windows Server 2016
- Security Policies, Group Policies & User Account Control in Windows Server 2016
- Security Policies, Application Restrictions & Windows Firewall in Windows 2016