About This Chapter
Who's it for?
Anyone who needs help understanding material from the History of the Vietnam War will benefit from taking this course. You will be able to grasp the subject matter faster, retain critical knowledge longer and earn better grades. You're in the right place if you:
- Have fallen behind in understanding the Tet Offensive or other major battles of the Vietnam War.
- Need an efficient way to learn about the major battles and offensives of the Vietnam War.
- Learn best with engaging auditory and visual tools.
- Struggle with learning disabilities or learning differences, including autism and ADHD.
- Experience difficulty understanding your teachers.
- Missed class time and need to catch up.
- Can't access extra history resources at school.
How it works:
- Start at the beginning, or identify the topics that you need help with.
- Watch and learn from fun videos, reviewing as needed.
- Refer to the video transcripts to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Submit questions to one of our instructors for personalized support if you need extra help.
- Verify you're ready by completing the Major Battles and Offensives of the Vietnam War chapter exam.
Why it works:
- Study Efficiently: Skip what you know, review what you don't.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging animations and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Use the Major Battles and Offensives of the Vietnam War chapter exam to be prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any relevant question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: Watch videos on any web-ready device.
Students will review:
In this chapter, you'll learn the answers to questions including:
- What were some of the causes and consequences of the Battle of Ap Bac?
- Why was Operation Starlite important?
- Where did the first major engagement between the North Vietnamese and U.S. armies take place?
- How did Operation Masher/White Wing serve as an example of the search-and-destroy strategy?
- What was unique to Operation Junction City?
- Why was the Tet Offensive important to the North Vietnamese?
- What were the major causes and lasting consequences of the My Lai Massacre?
- How did North Vietnam's Easter Offensive of 1972 turn out?
1. The Battle of Ap Bac: Causes and Impacts
The Battle of Ap Bac was the first significant engagement between tenets of North and South Vietnam. Learn about the battle, including the cause, the tactics and its impact on the Vietnam War in this lesson.
2. US Marine Corps vs the National Liberation Front: Operation Starlite
Operation Starlite represented the first major battle between the United States Marine Corps and the National Liberation Front. Learn about the campaign, including its strategy, engagement and outcome.
3. Battle for the Ia Drang Valley: The US Army vs The People's Army of Vietnam
The Battle for the Ia Drang Valley in 1965 was the first confrontation between the United States Army and the People's Army of Vietnam. Learn about the battle including the planning, combat and outcome in this lesson.
4. Operation Masher/White Wing: Description, Phases & Strategies
Operation Masher/White Wing embodied the concept of search-and-destroy during the Vietnam War. Learn more about Masher/White Wing, including its multi-phase strategy, engagements and results, in this lesson.
5. Operation Junction City: Airborne Engagement During the Vietnam War
Operation Junction City was a major search-and-destroy campaign led by the United States Army during 1967. Learn about the operation, including the use of American paratroopers, the battles and the results, in this video lesson.
6. The Tet Offensive: The First Major Offensive from North Vietnam
The Tet Offensive marked the first major conventional invasion by North Vietnam on South Vietnam during the Vietnam War. Learn more about the invasion, including the planning, execution and outcome of the offensive.
7. The My Lai Massacre: Causes and Significance
The My Lai Massacre was a deviation from the normal military campaigns of the United States in the Vietnam War. Learn about the atrocity including its background, the events and its importance within the war in this lesson.
8. The Easter Offensive of 1972: North Vietnam Attacks the South
The Easter Offensive of 1972 was an effort by North Vietnam to eradicate South Vietnam, expedite the American withdrawal and unify the nation. Learn about the planning, execution and outcome of the campaign.
9. Operation Rolling Thunder: Facts & Summary
In this lesson, we'll be learning about Operation Rolling Thunder, the first American bombing campaign of the Vietnam War. We'll summarize it, its failures, and some basic facts about it, and then you can test your knowledge with a quiz!
10. Agent Orange: Exposure & Use in the Vietnam War
Agent Orange was a chemical used during the Vietnam War. It was awesome in its destructive capacity and terrifying in its legacy. Read on to find out why its name is synonymous with the very worst in warfare.
11. What is Agent Orange? - Effects, Symptoms & Definition
Classified as a type of herbicide, Agent Orange is toxic to human health. Learn about Agent Orange, its impact on human health, and its health related symptoms. Then test your knowledge at the end of this lesson by taking a short quiz.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the The Vietnam War: Help and Review course
- Roots of the Vietnam War: Help and Review
- Unrest in Vietnam During the Eisenhower Years: Help and Review
- John F Kennedy and the Vietnam War: Help and Review
- Lyndon B. Johnson and the Vietnam War: Help and Review
- Vietnam War During the Nixon Years: Help and Review
- The Vietnam War After American Involvement: Help and Review