About This Chapter
Major Contributions of Classical Societies - Chapter Summary
If you would like to learn about some of the most significant societies of the ancient world, and their contributions to history, go through this chapter and watch each of these video lessons. The lessons will go over major facts on ancient societies and look at the societies' achievements and their significance.
The lessons examine each of the major civilizations chronologically, detailing their main contributions and why they are historically important. You will learn about the history of these developments and their lasting legacies on today's world. Some of the specific topics you will learn about are:
- The achievements of ancient Mesopotamia
- The architecture of ancient Egypt
- The art, government, science and sports of ancient Greece
- Ancient Roman art and architecture
- Ancient Roman language, literature and law
At the end of every video is a practice quiz that you can take to see how well you remember the main points from the lesson. Once you have completed the chapter, you can also take the final chapter exam to make sure that you accurately recall some of the most significant points from the chapter as a whole. Be sure to track your learning progress by using your personal Dashboard as you go through the lessons.
1. Major Mesopotamian Achievements in Early Civilization
Ancient Mesopotamian societies had to invent many of the practices used to sustain major civilizations all on their own, which led to some major achievements. In this lesson, we examine key historical precedents set by the Mesopotamians.
2. Ancient Egyptian Architecture: History, Characteristics & Influences
This lesson explores the architectural wonders of ancient Egypt. Some of these structures include temples, pyramids and monumental statues constructed long ago and surviving into modern times.
3. Legacy of Ancient Greece: Art, Government, Science & Sports
In this lesson, you will explore the legacies that the ancient Greeks left behind on this world in art, government, science, and sports. Then, test your understanding with a brief quiz.
4. Impact of Ancient Greek Literature on Modern Literature & Language
In this lesson, you will explore the various ways that ancient Greek literature has impacted our modern language and literature. Then,you can test your understanding with a brief quiz.
5. Legacies of Roman Art & Architecture
In this lesson, you'll explore the legacy of art and architecture from the powerful Roman Empire, which influences our ideas about style to this day. Afterward, you can test your understanding of the ancient world with a quiz.
6. Legacies of Roman Technology & Science
In this lesson, you will explore the legacies of Roman technology and science, legacies that still influence us to this day. Then, test your understanding with a brief quiz.
7. Legacies of Roman Literature, Language & Law
In this lesson, you will explore the legacies of Roman language, called Latin, and the literature and law they used that language to create. Then, test your understanding about the ancient Romans with a brief quiz.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Praxis Elementary Education - Multiple Subjects (5001): Practice & Study Guide course
- Overview of Phonics Education
- Fluency in Education
- Speaking & Listening
- Words, Phrases & Language
- Elements of Literary Texts
- Informational Texts & Text Complexity
- Overview of Writing Types
- Characteristics of Effective Writing
- Writing Development & Digital Tools
- English Grammar & Grammatical Errors
- Writing Research & Citation
- World Exploration & Colonization
- Road to the American Revolution
- The American Revolution
- Major Events in U.S. History
- 20th Century Developments in the U.S.
- Overview of Government Systems
- Basic Economics
- Historical Documents of the United States
- Principles of American Democracy
- Basics of Human Geography
- 20th Century Developments in World History
- The History of the European Union
- Interpreting History from Different Perspectives
- Place Value System
- Rational Number Operations & Properties
- Representing Rational Numbers & Operations
- Proportional Relationships & Percents
- Number Theory & Mathematical Reasoning
- Introduction to Algebraic Expressions
- Solving Linear Equations & Inequalities
- Mathematical Patterns
- Fundamentals of Geometric Figures & Angles
- 2D & 3D Shapes
- Finding Area, Perimeter, Surface Area & Volume
- Coordinate Plane
- Solving Real World Math Problems
- Statistical Concepts
- Measurement and the Metric System
- Data Display Methods
- Circle, Bar & Line Graphs
- Probability Concepts
- Scientific Thinking & Research
- Structure of Matter
- Basics of Forces & Motion
- Work, Power & Energy
- Interactions of Energy & Matter
- Overview of Geomorphology
- Earth & the Solar System
- Earth Patterns, Cycles & Change
- Basic Components of Living Things
- Change in Living Things
- Biodiversity, Adaptation & Classification
- Personal Nutrition & Health Problems
- Praxis Elementary Education: Multiple Subjects Flashcards