About This Chapter
Major Developments & Historical Figures in Science- Chapter Summary
The chapter includes critical lessons on the important historical foundations of the science field. Without these major developments and historical figures, science would be a much different field. The concepts you'll study in this chapter include:
- Advances in science during the Middle Ages
- Galileo's work, including steps in the early scientific method and his astronomical discoveries
- Major innovations during the Enlightenment Period
- Scientists behind the atomic theory
- The work of Gregor Mendel and why he is known as the Father of Modern Genetics
- Alfred Wegener and his theory of how the earth's structure has changed
- Charles Darwin and the theory of natural selection
- Achievements of Isaac Newton
In this chapter, you'll review science lessons designed by professional and knowledgeable instructors. Resources include videos, transcripts, timeline feature for the videos and self-assessment quizzes. When you study with us, you will have access to these lessons as often as you need them. This will allow you to fully reinforce your knowledge before moving forward.
1. Pre-Scientific Revolution: Logic, Reason & Scientific Experimentation
In this lesson, we explore the reasons behind the typical narrative surrounding the Middle Ages and the advances in reason and science made during this period.
2. Galileo, the Telescope & the Church
This lesson explores the contributions of Galileo to modern science. It examines his early steps toward a scientific method, his work on falling bodies and, of course, his astronomical discoveries. Finally, the Church's reaction to these discoveries is explored.
3. Science During the Enlightenment Period: Innovations, Discoveries & Major Figures
In this lesson, we will learn about the Scientific Revolution that preceded the Enlightenment. We will highlight the major themes, innovations, discoveries, and figures associated with this revolution in science.
4. Atomic Theory: Definition, History & Timeline
Imagine developing a concept without any physical evidence or laws to guide your theory! Early atomic theory relied solely on observation, hypothesis and experimentation. Let's visit some of the scientists and discoveries leading to what we know today.
5. Gregor Mendel & Genetics: Experiments, Laws & Discovery
Gregor Mendel is currently known as the Father of Modern Genetics. This lesson goes through a brief history of his life, workings as a scientist, and his findings.
6. Alfred Wegener's Theory of Continental Drift
People used to think that Earth was static, and that it never changed. Gradually, a body of evidence was gathered that made no sense in this model. Alfred Wegener, Geologic Supersleuth, laid the groundwork for a whole new theory for the large-scale changing nature of the earth.
7. Charles Darwin: Voyages, Theories & Works
In this lesson we explore the life and voyages of the 19th-century British naturalist Charles Darwin and his formulation of the theory of natural selection.
8. Facts about Isaac Newton: Laws, Discoveries & Contributions
Sir Isaac Newton was an English physicist whose discoveries have led him to be considered one of the most important and influential scientists in history. This lesson will cover his achievements and discoveries.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the GACE Middle Grades Science (014): Practice & Study Guide course
- Scientific Inquiry & Design
- Nature of Scientific Knowledge
- Collecting & Analyzing Scientific Data
- Science Laboratory & Field Equipment Safety
- Environmental Effects of Science & Technology
- Energy Production & Natural Resource Management
- Science & Technology in Consumer Products
- The Atomic Model, Energy & Matter
- Concepts & Relationships Between Energy & Matter
- Basics of the Periodic Table
- Chemical Compounds & Reactions
- Acid-Base Chemistry
- Solutions & Solubility
- Basic Concepts of Mechanics
- Electricity & Magnetism Concepts
- Waves & Optics
- Structure & Function of Cells & Organelles
- Basic Biochemistry of Life
- Basic Genetics
- Evolution, Natural Selection & Biological Diversity
- Hierarchical Classification of Living Things
- Plant Structures & Function
- Animal & Human Anatomy & Physiology
- Population Dynamics & Ecology
- Intro to Rocks, Minerals & Soil
- Earth's Structure & Internal Processes
- Effects of Plate Tectonics
- Historical Geology
- Water Cycle
- Earth's Oceans & Landforms
- Freshwater Characteristics & Processes
- Atmosphere & Weather
- Climate & Seasons
- Exploring Features of the Solar System
- Earth-Moon-Sun System
- GACE Middle Grades Science Flashcards