About This Chapter
Who's it for?
Anyone who needs help learning or mastering college pathology material will benefit from taking this course. You will be able to grasp the subject matter faster, retain critical knowledge longer and earn better grades. You're in the right place if you:
- Have fallen behind in understanding the causes and types of disorders related to the nervous system, as well as their symptoms and treatments.
- Need an efficient way to learn about the major disorders involving the nervous system.
- Learn best with engaging auditory and visual tools.
- Struggle with learning disabilities or learning differences, including autism and ADHD.
- Experience difficulty understanding your teachers.
- Missed class time and need to catch up.
- Can't access extra science learning resources at school.
How it works:
- Start at the beginning, or identify the topics that you need help with.
- Watch and learn from fun videos, reviewing as needed.
- Refer to the video transcripts to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Submit questions to one of our instructors for personalized support if you need extra help.
- Verify you're ready by completing the Major Disorders Involving the Nervous System chapter exam.
Why it works:
- Study Efficiently: Skip what you know, review what you don't.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging animations and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Use the Major Disorders Involving the Nervous System chapter exam to be prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any relevant question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: Watch videos on any web-ready device.
Students will review:
In this chapter, you'll learn the answers to questions including:
- What is the relationship between aspirin and Reye's Syndrome?
- What are the symptoms of Lou Gehrig's, Huntington's and Parkinson's disease?
- Why do some people develop multiple sclerosis?
- How do tumors of the nervous system occur?
- What are the genetic roots of Tay-Sachs disease?
- What are some of the non-psychotic and psychotic conditions of the nervous system?
1. Lysosomal Storage Diseases: Mannosidosis
This lesson will discuss a lysosomal storage disease known as mannosidosis. We'll go over why it's called that, what it does to the body, and why it occurs. You'll also learn if there is a cure for this disorder.
2. Nervous System Tumors: Gliomas, Meningiomas, and More
This lesson will go over some of the most common nervous system tumors and how it is they may cause harm to the person, how they may be diagnosed, and treated. Find out as we explore meningiomas, gliomas, and schwannomas.
3. Meningitis and Encephalitis: Causes, Symptoms & Treatment
This lesson will go over a lot of cool things. We'll detail meningitis and encephalitis, what causes them, how your immune system plays a role, how to diagnose these conditions, and how to treat them.
4. Epilepsy: Causes, Types, and Treatments
This lesson will go over seizures and epilepsy. We'll define the difference, go over why it may occur, how it is diagnosed, and how some treatments work to stop the seizures that cause epilepsy.
5. Polio: Causes, Symptoms, and Treatments
This lesson will describe a crippling disease known as polio. We will discuss its history, signs, symptoms, treatment, prevention strategies, who is most likely to get this disease and why this may be the case.
6. Reye's Syndrome: Why Aspirin Can Kill
We'll discuss how aspirin relates to a condition known as Reye's syndrome. You'll find out if we really know what causes it to occur, what age group is most at risk, and why if you're sick with the flu you might want to watch out for this condition.
7. Alzheimer's: History, Causes, and Treatments
We will learn about Alzheimer's in this lesson, which is a devastating disease of the brain. We'll discuss whom it affects most, why it occurs, what can be done about it, and much more.
8. Parkinson's Disease: Causes, Progression, and Treatments
This lesson will cover Parkinson's disease. It will inform you of what it is, what symptoms it causes, whom it affects most, why it occurs, and what treatment options exist. We'll explore everything from Lewy bodies to the substantia nigra.
9. Multiple Sclerosis: Why it Occurs and What Can Be Done
This lesson explores multiple sclerosis, a disease that affects many people around the world. We will look into why it may occur, what the common signs and symptoms are, how it may be diagnosed, and the treatments that may be employed.
10. Myasthenia Gravis: An Autoimmune Disorder
This lesson will go over a condition called myasthenia gravis. We'll talk about why it occurs, how your immune system is involved, how it can be treated, if it's curable, and what typical signs it produces in a person.
11. Lou Gehrig's Disease: Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis
In this lesson, we will cover a deadly condition known as amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. We'll learn its alternative name, what occurs in your body as a result of this disease, and if there is any way to treat it.
12. What Is Tay-Sachs Disease? - Symptoms and Genetic Cause
Tay-Sachs is a devastating genetic disorder that is seen in infants starting when they are only three to six months old. Children who suffer from this disease usually die by the age of four. Learn more about the symptoms and genetic causes of this autosomal recessive disorder.
13. Spina Bifida: Causes, Signs, and Treatment
We will examine a condition known as spina bifida. It's a condition that develops during pregnancy and has three major types. You'll learn what they are, how they can be diagnosed, and how they can be treated.
14. Autism: Causes, Signs, and Management
In this lesson, we'll go over a well-known neurodevelopmental condition called autism, its symptoms, and possible treatments. We'll also discuss a huge controversy that erupted regarding autism and its link to vaccines and whether that link is valid or not.
15. What Is Huntington's Disease? - Symptoms, Genetic Cause & Treatment
In this lesson, you'll learn about a neurodegenerative disorder called Huntington's disease. You'll learn what a CAG repeat is, and how the number of these repeats can be used to predict whether or not a person will get Huntington's disease.
16. Down Syndrome: Cause, Progression, and Treatment
This lesson will discuss a condition called Down syndrome. You'll learn why it occurs, how genetics may play a role, how the brain may be affected, and what other problems this disorder may cause. We'll also discuss how this condition may be diagnosed.
17. Guillain-Barre Syndrome: Sudden Paralysis
In this lesson, we'll go over one very interesting condition known as Guillain-Barre syndrome. We'll review the odd reason why it may occur, the terrible things it causes, and the really cool ways by which it is treated.
18. Psychotic Disorders of the Nervous System
This lesson will discuss some psychotic disorders and their general causes. We will go over schizophrenia, delusional disorders, and mood disorders, such as depression and bipolar disorder.
19. Non-Psychotic Disorders of the Nervous System
In this lesson, we'll go over three main classes of non-psychotic disorders that affect the mind. We'll cover mood, anxiety, and personality disorders such as OCD, depression, SAD, and more.
20. Parkinson's Disease: Causes, Symptoms & Stages
Parkinson's disease is a progressive condition that affects bodily movement and results from an essential brain chemical that gradually diminishes in some people. Learn more about Parkinson's disease as well as its symptoms and progression.
21. What Is Down Syndrome? - Symptoms, Causes & Facts
Down Syndrome is a genetic disease that does not follow the traditional method of inheritance. Most people are familiar with the basics of this disease, but know very little about the details of this syndrome and its effects in humans. In this lesson we'll learn about this disease, its symptoms, and its causes.
22. Tetrodotoxin: Structure & Mechanism
This lesson goes over the structure of tetrodotoxin, which is a poisonous chemical found in the tissue and organs of a number of different fish and other sea creatures. We'll talk about it's chemical structure and how it works.
23. Cerebral Palsy: Symptoms, Causes & Treatments
Cerebral palsy is a medical condition resulting from abnormal functioning or development of the brain. Read this lesson to learn about the causes, symptoms, and treatment options for people with cerebral palsy.
24. Cerebral Palsy: Definition, Types & Diagnosis
Cerebral palsy is a term used to describe a wide range of neurological disorders that affect muscle movements. We'll explore the different types of cerebral palsy, identify the symptoms, and look at an overview of how the diagnostic process takes place.
25. Deep Brain Stimulation: Procedure & Side Effects
This lesson covers the medical procedure known as deep brain stimulation, which places electrodes in the brain to help regulate abnormal impulses. We'll talk about why someone might undergo this procedure, and some of the possible side effects.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Pathophysiology: Help and Review course
- The Basic Components of Pathophysiology: Help and Review
- The Consequences of an Aberrant Immune System: Help and Review
- The Pathophysiology of Neoplasia: Help and Review
- Skin-Related Pathology: Help and Review
- Trauma and Injury to the Nervous System: Help and Review
- Congenital Cardiovascular Defects: Help and Review
- Acquired Cardiovascular Abnormalities: Help and Review
- Pathologies of the Respiratory System: Help and Review
- Important Renal Anatomy and Physiology: Help and Review
- Diseases of the Urinary System: Help and Review
- Conditions Affecting the Gastrointestinal System: Help and Review
- Metabolic Derangements: Help and Review
- Blood Disorders - Anemia: Help and Review
- Hematological Maladies: Help and Review
- Blood Cancers: Help and Review
- Alterations of the Musculoskeletal System: Help and Review
- Reproductive System Disorders: Help and Review
- Clinical Test Results - Cells and Blood Proteins: Help and Review
- Clinical Test Results - Organ Function and Health: Help and Review
- Clinical Tests for Electrolyte Levels