About This Chapter
Making Health Decisions - Chapter Summary
Dust off your memories about the decision-making process in relation to health choices. In these lessons, our instructors discuss the importance of weighing multiple factors when making complicated health decisions. Each lesson focuses on a different topic so, as you work your way through the information, you will develop a more thorough understanding of the following:
- The seven key decision-making steps
- Choices, factors, and criteria in health care decisions
- Understanding and assessing health literacy
- Evaluating health information
- Improving attitudes about health care and disease prevention
As you use this chapter to refresh your memories about health-related topics, you may want to start off by first assessing your knowledge. You can do this by utilizing the quiz with each lesson. After you've submitted your answers you can see your scores and an explanation key with the correct choices.
Once you determine the areas you know well, you may decide to skip those lessons and focus on those with which you are less familiar. You can pause, play, and fast-forward any of our videos, and there are no limits on how many times you can replay them. The text lessons and transcripts also include bolded keywords, so you'll always know which terms to memorize.
1. The Seven Steps of Decision Making
Effective decision-making is an essential skill for every manager. In this lesson, you'll learn about a seven-step process for effective decision-making. You'll also have an opportunity to take a short quiz after the lesson.
2. Making Health Care Decisions: Factors, Choices & Criteria
Making decisions relating to your healthcare may be a daunting challenge. This lesson will explore where you can turn to for more information and which types of information are best avoided.
3. What Is Health Literacy? - Definition & Assessment
In this lesson you will learn about health literacy and its health implications. You will also learn why health literacy it is important and how to improve it. You will be introduced to the various tools available for measuring health literacy.
4. Sources of Health Information: Overview & Reliability
The Internet is full of information and misinformation. This lesson will teach you how to identify the major sources of health information and determine if they are truly credible.
5. Health Care: Awareness, Attitudes, & Prevention
During late life, health issues can become both more common and more serious. But health can be impacted by a person's attitudes and behaviors. In this lesson, we'll explore how prevention and attitude can play a role in older people's health.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the PLACE Health: Practice & Study Guide course
- Human Growth & Development
- Infant Growth & Development
- Childhood Growth & Development
- Adolescence Growth & Development
- Growth & Development in Adulthood
- Human Reproduction, Pregnancy & Birth
- Mendelian Genetics & Mechanisms of Heredity
- Health of the Aging Population
- Dying and Bereavement in Older Adults
- Understanding the Disease Process
- Pathogens & the Immune System
- Nutritional Health & Diet Planning
- Carbohydrates in Nutrition
- Lipids in Nutrition
- Protein's Role in Nutrition
- Water as a Nutrient
- Minerals in Nutrition
- Symptoms of Mineral Deficiency & Toxicity
- How Vitamins Support Nutrition
- Eating Disorders & Treatments
- Weight Management & Energy Needs
- Understanding Dental Health
- Physical Fitness & Nutrition
- Effects of Sleep on Health
- Health & Wellness Basics
- Emotional and Mental Health
- Addictive Behaviors and Drug Use
- Alcohol & Tobacco Use and Personal Health
- Drugs & Substance Use Disorders
- Family Systems & Healthy Behavior
- Contraception and Family Planning
- Managing Family & Peer Relationships
- Sexuality & Health
- Media & Advertising of Health Information
- Community & Public Health
- Child Abuse & Abduction
- Sexual Harassment & Violence
- Environmental Risk Analysis
- Environmental Pollution & Health Concerns
- Personal Safety Precautions
- PLACE Health Flashcards