About This Chapter
Making Smart Health Care Choices - Chapter Summary
Where we go to receive health care and what the health care system in the U.S. has to offer are factors that can impact our health. This chapter provides overviews about health care choices and aspects of the U.S. health care system. Videos take about five minutes to review, and you can check what you've learned by taking accompanying self-assessment quizzes. Once you have completed this chapter, you should be able to:
- Understand the factors that impact health care choices and decisions
- Explain the components and importance of a physical examination
- Describe the structure of and issues affecting the U.S. health care system
- Provide details about health care insurance providers and regulations
- Discuss medication safety and effectiveness
1. Making Health Care Decisions: Factors, Choices & Criteria
Making decisions relating to your healthcare may be a daunting challenge. This lesson will explore where you can turn to for more information and which types of information are best avoided.
2. Your Physical Exam: Purpose & Major Components
The physical exam is one of the most important tools at your doctor's disposal. Find out why, as well as what the major components of this critical test actually are.
3. The U.S. Health Care System: Description, Structure, Cost, Quality & Access
This lesson will explore the issues associated with the costs and quality of health care access, as well as what HMOs, PPOs, POS, HSAs, Medicare, and Medicaid are.
4. Health Insurance and Health Care: Overview, Roles & Regulations
This lesson will explain the major aspects of health insurance and its role in your health care costs. We will discuss premiums, deductibles, coinsurance, copays, and more!
5. GRAS & GRAE: Safety & Efficacy of Over-the-Counter (OTC) Medications
This lesson will explain what the term 'generally recognized as safe and effective' (GRASE, GRAS/E, GRASE/GRAE) means and how that is determined. We will also discuss over-the-counter medication approval.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Health 101: Principles of Health course
- Health and Wellness Fundamentals
- Psychosocial Disorders & Mental Health
- Stress Risks & Disorders
- Drugs & Addictive Behavior
- Impact of Alcohol & Tobacco on Health
- Substance Use Risks & Disorders
- Healthy Platonic & Sexual Relationships
- Understanding Nutrition in Health
- Fitness & Weight in Personal Health
- Personal Health for Aging Populations
- Understanding Death & Bereavement
- Heart, Lung & Endocrine System Health
- Understanding Cancer Risks & Treatment
- Immune Disorders & Infections
- Understanding Diabetes & Genetic Disorders
- Environmental Health Basics
- Pollution & Environmental Issues
- Violence, Injury & Personal Safety
- Studying for Health 101