About This Chapter
Management in School Counseling - Chapter Summary
Take advantage of these lessons developed by our experts on management in school counseling. Get familiar with programs for at-risk students. Take a look at Excel, Access, dBase and Lotus 1-2-3 database and spreadsheet software. Examine a comprehensive school counseling program.
This chapter has lessons on such things as:
- Types of information systems
- Definition and design of survey studies
- Characteristics of at-risk students
- Types and the management of school counseling referrals
These short, focused lessons each include a quiz so you can determine where you need extra study. If you want to go back over anything on the video lessons, use our keyword-based timeline tool to replay exactly what you want. You can ask questions directly of the instructor.
1. Database and Spreadsheet Software: Excel, Access, dBase & Lotus 1-2-3
Spreadsheet software and database software are both used to organize and manipulate data. Each application has its own unique strengths. Learn about the functionality of both types of software.
2. What Are Information Systems? - Definition & Types
An information system is software that helps you organize and analyze data. This makes it possible to answer questions and solve problems relevant to the mission of an organization.
3. Survey Study: Definition & Design
Although most of us know what a survey is, many do not know all the tools necessary to create a survey that will yield quality data. In this lesson, you will learn about such tools.
4. Elements of a Comprehensive School Counseling Program
This lesson will discuss the essential elements of a comprehensive school counseling program. The lesson will end with a brief quiz to test what you have learned.
5. At-Risk Students: Definition, Characteristics & Programs
This lesson examines the term 'at-risk' as it pertains to our students in education. We'll look at warning signs for at-risk students, both those that are easy to recognize and those that may be less obvious. Finally, we look at different programs schools offer to assist these students.
6. School Counseling Referrals: Types & Management
In this lesson, we will differentiate between internal and external referrals and discuss procedures to manage the various types of referrals. Further, we will review the roles of various service providers, goals, communication, and collaboration.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Praxis Professional School Counselor (5421): Practice & Study Guide course
- The History & Role of School Counselors
- Understanding Human Growth & Development
- Theories of Identity Formation & Social Development
- Ethics & School Counseling
- Professional Development for School Counselors
- School and System Governance
- Legal Issues in School Counseling
- Guidance & Counseling Strategies for Schools
- Group Counseling
- Teaching Students About Career Development
- Instructional & Behavioral Management Strategies in Class
- Crisis Intervention for School Counselors
- Student Diversity & Issues in School Counseling
- Consultation in School Counseling
- Interventions & Accommodations in School Counseling
- Accountability in School Counseling
- Assessment Issues in School Counseling
- School Counseling & Student Outcomes
- Praxis Professional School Counselor Flashcards