About This Chapter
Management in the Hospitality Industry - Chapter Summary
The text and video lessons in this chapter review the role of management in motivation and employee relations in the hospitality field. These lessons cover topics such as:
- Goal setting in management
- The definition, types and examples of organizational goals
- The definition and importance of workplace coaching
- Hospitality industry coaching
- The sources of workplace conflict
- Conflict resolution in organizations
The extensive expertise of our lesson instructors make these lessons a great study resource for your organization's managers. Once the managers have completed each lesson, they can answer questions in the chapter's practice quizzes and final exam to make sure they understand some of the most significant information from the chapter.
How It Helps
- Provides goals: Use these lessons to help managers learn about the most common types of organizational goals.
- Defines terminology: These lessons provide comprehensive definitions of essential concepts and terms, ensuring that all your managers share a common vocabulary.
- Offers solutions: Use these lessons to help managers learn about potential sources of conflict they may run into when working in hospitality management, and the best solutions to any potential problem.
Ask managers to review each of these lessons so they may:
- Recognize the major goals for hospitality management
- Understand the importance of workplace coaching
- Serve as an effective workplace coach
- Identify and resolve different kinds of workplace conflicts
1. Goal Setting as a Function of Management
Watch this video lesson to learn how goals help a company and its employees to succeed both in the day-to-day operations and in the long term helping the company grow and become more profitable.
2. What Are Organizational Goals? - Definition, Types & Examples
This lesson is an in-depth review of organizational goals. It will give you an idea of the different types of goals, show examples of organizational goals, and discuss how each can be measured for success.
3. Coaching in the Workplace: Definition & Importance
Just like sports, the workplace needs coaches too! This lesson will discuss the definition and importance of effective workplace coaching, including the strategies and behaviors that go along with it.
4. Coaching in the Hospitality Industry
This lesson discusses the importance of coaching in the hospitality industry and how manager-led coaching can improve customer service and team collaboration.
5. Sources of Conflict in the Workplace: Task, Relationship, and Process Conflict
Companies have to learn to deal with conflict on a daily basis. Organizational conflict is disagreement between groups or employees regarding work-related issues. Task, relationship and process are the three sources of conflict in a workplace.
6. Conflict Resolution: Managing Conflict in Organizations
Conflict can be solved in many ways. This lesson provides an overview of the different types of conflict resolution strategies, including avoidance, accommodation, competition, compromise, and collaboration.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Hotel Management Training course
- Organizational Change in Hospitality
- Management Functions
- Contemporary Leadership & Management Theories
- Continuous-Improvement Processes & Methods
- Organizational Behavior & Hospitality Management
- Communication in Hotel Management
- Team Building & Development in Hospitality
- Cultural Diversity in the Hospitality Industry
- Ethical Issues in the Hospitality Industry