About This Chapter
Managerial & Interpersonal Communication - Chapter Summary
This chapter is all about managerial and interpersonal communication, with lessons breaking down its various approaches, characteristics, styles, and more. You'll learn about topics such as team delegation, ethics in interpersonal communication, channels of communication, as well as the following:
- Leadership qualities and communication styles
- Why you should look at physical, cultural, and other dimensions to identify context in communication
- Distinguishing between communication types including symmetrical and complimentary interpersonal
The practice quizzes and exam accompanying this chapter give you the chance to check your understanding both on a topic-to-topic and overall level. These assessments can be taken as many times as you like and are printable as worksheets for offline use. And if you're having trouble with any particular topic, you can always reach out to our professional instructors for assistance via the teacher or help tab.
1. Managerial Communication
This lesson discusses the role of communication for management by detailing the various functions it facilitates. Why do managers need to be able to communicate well? What are the challenges in that process?
2. Leadership Communication: Importance & Styles
In this lesson we will learn about leadership communication. We will first learn why it is important by exploring some crucial qualities of a leader. We will then look at a variety of leadership communication styles and why they work well.
3. Delegation Within Teams: Process & Advantages
Delegating work to others is a powerful tool in increasing a company's level of productivity. This lesson will discuss the importance of delegation, its benefits, and the process of delegating tasks to team members.
4. Interpersonal Communication: Definition, Characteristics & Types
We communicate. A lot. So, it's important to understand some of the characteristics and types of our styles of communication. Explore interpersonal communication and test your understanding with a brief quiz.
5. Channel of Communication: Types & Definition
In this lesson, we'll discuss what communication channels are and why we use them. We'll also cover the different groups of communication channels and some examples of each group.
6. The Importance of Context in Communication
We spend a lot of time communicating, so it's important to be aware of how different contexts can impact your communication. Explore the four main contexts of communication, and test your understanding with a brief quiz.
7. Ethics in Interpersonal Communication
Ethics are important in all aspects of life, and communication is no exception. Explore the way in which ethics relate specifically to interpersonal communication, and test your understanding with a brief quiz.
8. Competence in Interpersonal Communication
Throughout our lives, we interact with a lot of people. So it's pretty important to know what we're doing. Explore the idea of competence in interpersonal communication, and test your understanding with a brief quiz.
9. Principles of Interpersonal Communication
Communication is a key part of our social world. In this lesson, we'll talk about the major principles of interpersonal communication, including different kinds of meaning in communication and how context shapes this.
10. Comparing Symmetrical & Complementary Interpersonal Communication
Communication is a very big part of our daily lives, and different styles of communication can have different impacts. Explore symmetrical and complementary interpersonal communication, and test your understanding with a brief quiz.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the IAAP CAP Exam Study Guide - Certified Administrative Professional course
- Hardware & Systems Technology Overview
- Computer & Peripheral Device Troubleshooting
- Systems Software & Management
- Using Software & Media to Communicate
- Introduction to Microsoft Word
- Microsoft Word Features
- Creating Worksheets & Workbooks in Excel
- Formatting Worksheets & Workbooks in Excel
- Format & Modify Text with Functions in Excel
- Introduction to the PowerPoint Tool Bar
- Create and Manage Presentations in PowerPoint
- PowerPoint Best Practices
- Design of Technical & Business Documents
- Working with Technical Reports
- Managing Physical Resources in Business
- Office Design & Ergonomics
- Business Records Management
- Database Management & Security
- Framework for Business Communication
- Running Effective Business Meetings
- Group Communication Skills in the Workplace
- Business Messaging Fundamentals
- Communicating Electronically
- Effective Messaging for Workplace Communication
- Elements of Punctuation & Grammar
- Sentence Types & Components
- Planning & Managing Events
- Human Resource Management Basics
- HR in a Global Business Environment
- Employee Recruitment & Selection
- Compensation Methods
- Employee Training & Professional Development
- Employer Compliance & Regulations
- Accounting Basics Overview
- Financial Statements in Accounting
- Financial Statement Analysis in Accounting
- Effective Management & Leadership
- Understanding Diversity while Communicating
- Business Networking Basics
- IAAP CAP Exam Study Guide - Certified Administrative Professional Flashcards