About This Chapter
Managing a Payroll Department - Chapter Summary
Understanding the basics of managing a payroll department is simple with help from this chapter's engaging lessons. Our instructors provide in-depth analyses of topics like managerial communication, project management and payroll software. The lessons are fun and easy to follow. Finish them at your leisure to ensure you're able to do the following:
- List the pros and cons of common staffing selection methods
- Explain how to empower employees to improve employee performance
- Identify and describe core competencies for payroll employees
- Define management skills and managerial communication
- Share examples of customer service goals and project management
- Detail how to select and use payroll software
- Describe types of disaster recovery plans for payroll
- Discuss how to implement a payroll software system
Get started by selecting any lessons in this chapter you feel will help you grasp the basics of managing a payroll department. If you have questions while studying these lessons, don't hesitate to submit them to our subject-matter experts. Quizzes accompanying the lessons make it easy to check your comprehension of the concepts they cover. To ensure you understand this subject before the day of your test, be sure to take our practice chapter exam.
1. Common Staffing Selection Methods: Definitions, Interview Types, Pros & Cons
Most companies rely on interviewing potential employees as part of the selection process. In this lesson, you'll learn about different types of interviews utilized by companies. We'll also cover some of the major pitfalls in using them.
2. How to Empower Employees & Improve Employee Performance
Empowered employees have the potential to reach high levels of productivity because they feel in control of their jobs. This lesson will describe how a manager can empower an employee to motivate employee performance.
3. Management Skills: Definition & Examples
Managers are a critical part of a business's success. A good manager leads others and has the skills and ability to run a business well. Today we will go over the meaning of management skills as well as review some examples.
4. Managerial Communication
This lesson discusses the role of communication for management by detailing the various functions it facilitates. Why do managers need to be able to communicate well? What are the challenges in that process?
5. What are Customer Service Goals? - Definition & Examples
Customer service is the most crucial aspect of any business, company, or employer. In this lesson, you will learn what customer service goals are, how they are formed, measured, and why they are so important.
6. What is Project Management? - Definition & Examples
In this lesson, you will learn about the definition of project management. An example of project management will be used to give a general understanding of the topic.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Certified Payroll Professional (CPP): Exam Prep & Study Guide course
- Payroll Processes & Laws
- Employee Classification
- Calculating Employee Paychecks
- Payroll Withholding & Deductions
- Employer Benefit & Contribution Plans
- Taxable & Nontaxable Employee Benefits
- Preparing, Depositing & Reporting Taxes
- Payroll Accounting Overview
- Payroll Audits & Internal Controls
- Certified Payroll Professional (CPP) Flashcards