About This Chapter
Managing a Project Team - Chapter Summary
Through this series of lessons, our instructors discuss the concept of project team dynamics and strategies for improving team cohesiveness. Team managers who complete this training will learn about the following:
- The framework and best practices for project governance
- Responsibilities and roles of team members
- Team-building motivational activities
- Diversity and cultural sensitivity
Each lesson elaborates on one major aspect of project team management, allowing staff members to gain mastery over every topic. Our materials are accessible anywhere via Wi-Fi, so your staff can complete the training on-site or at home. You can also administer the lesson quizzes or the chapter exam to assess the validity of this corporate training tool.
How It Helps
- Encourages awareness: Through learning how to be an advocate of diversity and cultural sensitivity, supervisors can make each team member feel supported and accepted.
- Improves morale: By learning motivational strategies for managing project teams, supervisors can point out and congratulate team member contributions.
- Promotes productivity: Managers who develop a better understanding of the structure and needs of a team can more accurately assign duties that play to the team's strengths.
- Emphasizes standards: By learning the best practices for project team management, supervisors can maintain a regulated system for managing multiple project teams.
Upon completion of this chapter, project team managers will be able to:
- Know the definition and the best structure for project governance
- Explain the different types of matrix organizations
- Identify techniques for managing teams within matrix organizations
- Provide an overview of how the responsibility assignment matrix benefits project teams
- Establish steps for creating a more culturally sensitive workplace for team members
1. What is Project Governance? - Definition & Framework
This lesson will define and explain project governance and look at examples. The lesson also will give an overview of structure for successful project governance.
2. Project Governance: Structure & Best Practices
In this lesson, you will learn how organizations ensure projects deliver desired outcomes using a project governance structure, as well as best practices for the governance framework.
3. Project Management Team: Structure & Roles
This lesson discusses the basic principles of project team organization, describing in detail the good, bad, and the ugly of the commonly used core team structure.
4. Project Team Member Roles & Responsibilities
This lesson will describe the role of project team members and responsibilities. Additionally, this lesson will review the importance of each individual team member's role in making contributions to the decision making process.
5. Comparing Strong, Weak & Balanced Matrix Organizations
This lesson will help you identify the various types of matrix organizational structures by evaluating organization hierarchy, project team composition and the relative influence and power between the functional manager and project manager.
6. Managing & Leading in a Matrix Organization
In this lesson you will learn the difference between leading and managing in a matrix organization. You will also learn why both styles are important.
7. Responsibility Assignment Matrix: Definition & Example
The Responsibility Assignment Matrix, also known as a Responsibility Accountability Matrix or RACI matrix is a key component of completing a project successfully. It identifies the role each person plays and what they are accountable for.
8. Activities for Building Team Motivation
Motivation is a key component for optimal performance as a team. Team members need to feel challenged as well as have a sense of belonging and responsibility for the outcome of tasks. Try these activities to increase your team's motivation.
9. Cultural Sensitivity & Diversity in Project Management
This lesson will discuss cultural sensitivity as it pertains to project management. The lesson will review the importance of active listening skills, emotional intelligence and stages of cultural awareness to drive success in managing teams.
10. Managing Stakeholder Conflict: Resolution & Examples
Conflict occurs in both our everyday lives and in the workplace. Knowing how to handle conflict is key to a successful company. In this lesson, we will learn how management handles conflict and look at some examples to better clarify the information.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Project Management Training course