About This Chapter
Managing & Coping with Stress - Chapter Summary
Study the material presented in this chapter to improve your understanding of stress, stressors, health related effects of stress and coping mechanisms for stress. Watch our expert instructors in this series of short, engaging and mobile-device-friendly lesson videos to reinforce your understanding of the:
- Definition of stress
- Impact of stress on overall health
- Stressors and origins of stress
- Chronic stress and associated health risks
- Techniques for coping with stress
If you feel you don't have enough time to complete these lessons at your computer, watch them when you are away on your mobile device. Following these lessons, further reinforce your understanding of the material by reading the lesson transcripts, and then test your mastery over the information presented in them by taking the lesson quizzes.
These quizzes will provide you with an opportunity to discover the topics you don't understand, and include video tags you can use to re-review these topics. If at any time during this chapter you develop a questions about any of the topics covered, be sure to send it to our instructors, via the teacher tabs of the lessons, for clarification. At the end of the chapter, take the practice chapter exam to test your overall understanding of the material.
1. Stress: Definition and Impact on Overall Health
Stress, distress, eustress: just thinking about those terms may make you stress out! Don't worry, this lesson will define them and show plenty of examples of them in a manner that will calm your mind!
2. Where Does Stress Come From?
Explore the wonderful world of all the things that cause us stress. From school and work to internal and interpersonal stressors, we'll define what stressors are and the many places they arise from in this lesson.
3. Health Risks Associated with Chronic Stress
Chronic stress has been linked to a ton of problems for the body both psychologically and physiologically. We'll take a trip in this lesson to examine what these problems are - a trip you may never forget.
4. Coping With Stress: Techniques, Attitudes & Reducing Exposure
Work, school, and life in general have plenty of things that cause us a lot of stress. If you'd like to learn some techniques that help to deal with these problems, watch or read this lesson.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the WEST Health/Fitness (029): Practice & Study Guide course
- Human Growth & Development
- Childhood Growth and Development
- Adolescent Growth and Development
- Adult Growth and Development
- Overview of the Human Body
- Physical Fitness & Nutrition
- Functional Properties of Nutrients
- Nutrients and the Body
- Vitamins in Nutrition
- Nutritional Balance
- The Risk of Eating Disorders to Nutrition
- Emotional and Mental Health
- Enhancing Social Health
- Social Systems & Communication
- Family Structures & Issues
- Prejudice, Aggression & Conflict
- Factors Influencing Health
- Illnesses and Diseases
- Public Health Emphasis
- Health Screening
- Healthy Relationships and Sexuality
- Influences in Sexual Relationships
- Alcohol & Tobacco Use and Personal Health
- Drugs & Substance Use Disorders
- Making Decisions in Health Care
- Health Protection Laws and Programs
- Media & Advertising of Health Information
- Injury Prevention and Safety Strategies
- Emergency Care
- Principles of Motor Development, Learning & Control
- Gross Anatomy & Functions of the Muscular System
- Elements of Human Growth & Energy
- Principles of Rhythmic Activities
- Principles of Gymnastic Activities
- Principles of Individual & Outdoor Activities
- Effective Teaching Strategies
- Approaches to Instruction
- Principles of Dual & Team Sports
- Principles of Cooperative & Group Games
- The Skeletal System & Connective Tissue
- Understanding & Assessing Fitness
- Principles & Benefits of Physical Fitness
- Promoting Health & Fitness Components
- Developing Physical Fitness Plans
- Impact of Physical Activity on Personal & Social Behaviors
- Teaching Techniques for Health Educators
- Careers in Health & Fitness
- WEST Health/Fitness Flashcards