About This Chapter
Managing Emotional Intelligence at Work - Chapter Summary
This chapter provides individuals in your company with effective tools and strategies they can use to manage emotional intelligence at work. They will gain insight into:
- The tools and benefits of measuring emotional intelligence
- Dealing with individuals who use emotional intelligence to manipulate others
- Ways emotional intelligence and IQ impact work performance
The lessons are entertaining, offering insight into emotional intelligence in a way that can make your corporate training sessions fun. Use them in succession or one at a time, which allows you to tailor sessions to your audience. After reviewing the materials, have your employees can take the assessment quizzes and chapter exam to gauge their understanding of the topic.
How It Helps
- Provides strategies for management: Managers can use the strategies offered in the lessons to measure emotional intelligence and identify leadership abilities.
- Strengthens relationships: This chapter provides employees with an understanding of ways to use emotional intelligence to positively impact workplace relationships, as opposed to using it to manipulate or gain power over others.
- Improves work performance: The lessons help managers examine which tools and strategies are best to use when encouraging employees to perform at their highest level.
After watching the videos, individuals in your company will be able to:
- Explain how emotional intelligence is measured and why measuring it helps identify leadership qualities
- Understand Emotional and Social Competence Inventory (ESCI) and the Mayer-Salovey-Caruso EI Test (MSCEIT)
- Describe the challenges of emotional intelligence on the job, including manipulation, power and influence
- Compare IQ and emotional intelligence to determine which results in better work performance
1. Measuring Emotional Intelligence: Tools & Benefits
How do companies determine who has a higher emotional intelligence level and why are companies interested in this now? This lesson will take a look at different ways to measure emotional intelligence and the benefits of doing so.
2. Emotional Intelligence: Issues & Challenges
Emotional intelligence can have many advantages, but when used in the wrong situation or for the wrong purposes, it can be damaging to a business. This lesson discusses some of the issues and challenges of using emotional intelligence in the workplace.
3. How IQ & Emotional Intelligence Affect Work Performance
IQ and emotional intelligence both determine an employee's work performance. If one of these components is missing, an employee will not be effective in his or her role. Let's learn more about these terms now.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Emotional Intelligence in the Workplace course