About This Chapter
Managing Structure & Culture in Business - Chapter Summary
This set of lessons will improve your understanding of managing structure and culture in business. You will get to know what determines structure in an organization, review the advantages and disadvantages of a flat structure, and look at examples of strong versus weak organizations. You will be prepared to answer test questions on such lesson topics as:
- Design and structure in an organization
- Definition and purpose of job design
- Job characteristics model of Hackman and Oldham
- Divisional, functional and simple organizational designs
- Principles of minimal chain of command
- Authority in organizations that are centralized versus decentralized
- Integration of mechanisms for increased communication
- Culture and change in an organization
This chapter has short text and video lessons. Videos are 5-10 minutes in length and are hosted by our instructors. All lessons include a short quiz to be used to test your understanding of the material studied. Videos come with a transcript and a timeline tool that makes it easy to replay any specific section of the lesson.
1. Organizational Structure: Definition and Influence on Organizational Behavior
In this lesson you will learn the definition of organizational structure and how the structure of an organization can influence the attitudes and behaviors of organizational members.
2. Organizational Design and Structure
There is a relationship between organizational design and structure because of different factors. Organizational size, organizational life cycle, strategy, environment and technology work together to form a complete organization.
3. Determinants of Organizational Structure
This lesson outlines the four important determinants of organizational structure: the nature of an organizational environment, the type of strategy the organization pursues, technology, and the characteristics of the organization's human resources.
4. Job Design: Definition and Purpose
A correctly defined job design will attract the right applicants and decrease job turnover by helping everyone understand their responsibilities up front. This lesson explores four approaches that companies can use to create a job design and communicate job tasks to current and potential employees.
5. Hackman & Oldham's Job Characteristics Model
Hackman & Oldman's job characteristics model is one of the only approaches to job design that focuses on person-fit theory. The individual's personality, behaviors and task accomplishments are all taken under consideration to describe the perfect fit for the job.
6. Types of Traditional Organizational Designs: Simple, Functional & Divisional Designs
Choosing an organizational structure is an ongoing design process. In this lesson, you will learn to identify types of traditional organizational designs, including simple, functional and divisional designs.
7. Types of Contemporary Organizational Designs: Matrix, Team & Network Designs
Choosing an organizational structure is an ongoing design process. In this lesson, you will learn to identify types of contemporary organizational designs, including matrix, team and network designs.
8. Minimum Chain of Command: Definition & Principles
Knowing who to turn to when you have a question is essential in a company if you want tasks to get completed correctly. In this lesson, we will learn how companies determine who is in charge.
9. What Is a Flat Structure in an Organization? - Definition, Advantages & Disadvantages
In this lesson, we'll define what organizational structure is, and explain some terms used to describe it. Then we'll cover the characteristics of the flat organizational structure, and discuss its advantages and disadvantages.
10. Authority in Centralized & Decentralized Organizations
There are several approaches to authority. In this lesson, learn about the centralized organization, where authority is top-down through a chain of command. Contrast that with the decentralized organization, where authority is assigned at different levels in the hierarchy.
11. Integrating Mechanisms for Increased Communication
Integrating mechanisms are essential to increase communication in a business. In this lesson, we will discuss the importance of liaison roles, task forces, cross-functional teams, and integrating roles.
12. Organizational Culture and Change
Organizational change involving altering processes and systems within a company often affects the existing group norms, beliefs and values. This makes change a challenge for managers. There are tactics managers can use to institute change in a positive and welcoming way.
13. Factors Determining Organizational Culture
Understanding your organizational culture is an excellent way to create an environment of success around you. In this lesson, we will discuss and define some of the factors which determines this organizational culture.
14. Strong vs. Weak Organizational Cultures: Examples & Differences
In this lesson, you will learn the difference between a strong organizational culture and a weak organizational culture. You will also learn how these different types of culture affect the members of an organization.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the CM Planning & Organizing Exam Study Guide - Certified Manager course
- Strategic Planning in Business
- Business Missions & Goals
- Building Strategy in Business
- Value Chain Management
- Improving Customer Relations
- Improving Quality in Business
- Improving Efficiency in Business
- Improving Innovation in Business
- Project Management Definition & Skills
- Building Teams & Work Groups
- Human Resources & Hiring
- Training & Assessment in an Organization
- Overview of Workplace Pay & Benefits
- Diversity at Work
- Coaching & Feedback in the Workplace
- Career Business Networking
- Mentoring at Work
- Holding Productive Meetings
- CM Planning & Organizing Exam Study Guide - Certified Manager Flashcards