About This Chapter
How it works:
- Identify which concepts are covered in your employer-worker relationship management homework.
- Find videos on those topics within this chapter.
- Watch fun videos, pausing and reviewing as needed.
- Complete sample problems and get instant feedback.
- Finish your employer-worker relationship management homework with ease!
Topics from your homework you'll be able to complete:
- Organized labor in the U.S.
- Union agreements
- Collective bargaining function
- Arbitration and mediation
- Methods for settling labor-management conflicts
- Contentious employee-management issues
1. A Historical Outline of Organized Labor in the United States
In this lesson, you'll learn about the development of organized labor and unions in the United States and their current position in the United States economy. We'll also touch upon federal laws that have been developed regulating and protecting organized labor.
2. Forms of Union Agreements
While currently in decline, unions are still an important presence in the workplace. In this lesson, you'll learn about different types of union agreements regarding union membership and employment, including open, closed, agency and union shops.
3. Function of Collective Bargaining
The function of collective bargaining is to negotiate work-related issues. Bargaining or negotiating takes place between the employer and the employees. The employees are represented by a collective bargaining unit.
4. Mediation & Arbitration: Third-Party Interventions in Organizations
Some conflicts simply cannot be resolved by those involved in the dispute. This lesson will explain the use of third-party interventions to help disputants resolve conflict they could not solve on their own.
5. Tactics for Resolving Labor-Management Conflicts
Good labor-management relations are a key component to successful business practice. Conflicts can happen and can be destructive. In this lesson, you'll learn about some tactics used for resolving conflicts between labor and management.
6. Controversial Employee-Management Issues
The modern workplace is replete with controversy ranging from charges of excessive executive pay to workplace privacy. In this lesson, you'll learn about some current controversial employee-management issues in the workplace.
7. Pareto Efficiency: Example and Definition
The concept of Pareto efficiency was developed by Italian economist, Vilfredo Pareto. Learn more about Pareto efficiency from examples. Once you are finished, test your knowledge with a quiz.
8. Discouraged Worker: Definition & Effect
Sometimes unemployed people get so discouraged that they simply quit trying. In this lesson, you'll learn about the discouraged worker and the effect discouraged workers can have on unemployment. A short quiz follows.
9. Employee and Workplace Grievances: Definition & Types
What can employees do when they are dissatisfied with the terms or conditions of their employment? Learn about the definition and types of employee grievances, and take a quiz to test your knowledge.
10. Employee Buy-In: Definition & Explanation
Employee buy-in is when employees are committed to the mission and/or goals of the company, and/or also find the day-to-day work personally resonant. Buy-in promotes engagement and a willingness to go the extra mile on the job.
11. Employee Referral: Definition & Policies
If a friend ever arranged a job interview for you with his employer, your friend probably referred you through a referral program. In this lesson, you'll learn about employee referral programs and policies. A short quiz follows.
12. Employee Surveys: Benefits & Examples
Employee surveys offer a valuable opportunity for staff members to give feedback to managers and executives of the company. When a company implements an employee survey, it can learn important, honest information from the employees' point-of-view.
13. Interrelationships: Definition & Explanation
A successful manager can detect and affect interrelationships to the advantage of his or her organization. In this lesson, you'll learn what interrelationships are and some related concepts. You'll also have a chance to take a short quiz after the lesson.
14. Job Commitment: Definition & Overview
Are you wondering how you can feel more committed to your job? Do you also wonder how you are contributing to your organization? Read on to find out more about job commitment and how it can not only benefit an organization, but you as well.
15. Lowell System: Definition & Significance
In this lesson, we'll take a look at the Lowell system. We'll begin with a brief history followed by a discussion of the significance of the system. The lesson will then conclude with a summary and a short quiz.
16. Multitasking: Definition, Benefits & Examples
Multitasking has become a popular way to accomplish multiple tasks. However, the verdict is out on whether or not it is a good idea. This lesson explains the advantages and disadvantages of multitasking.
17. Reciprocity: Definition, Principle & Types
In this lesson, you'll have the opportunity to learn the principle of reciprocity and explore examples of reciprocity and how it influences your behavior in your personal and professional relationships and consumer decisions.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Introduction to Business: Homework Help Resource course
- The Dynamic Business Environment: Homework Help
- Homework Help for Social Responsibility and Ethical Behavior in Business
- Economics and Business: Homework Help
- Business in Global Markets: Homework Help
- Forms of Business Ownership: Homework Help
- Entrepreneurship and Small Business: Homework Help
- Managing and Leading in Business: Homework Help
- Leadership Styles in Business: Homework Help
- Organizational Management: Homework Help
- Business Production and Operations: Homework Help
- Workplace Productivity & Motivation: Homework Help
- Basics of Human Resources: Homework Help
- Business Marketing Basics: Homework Help
- Product Development and Retailing: Homework Help
- Product Distribution & Supply Chain Management: Homework Help
- Pricing Strategy in Marketing: Homework Help
- Product Promotion: Homework Help
- MIS Basics: Homework Help
- Implications of Information Technology: Homework Help
- Risk Management: Homework Help
- Accounting Basics: Homework Help
- Financial Management: Homework Help
- Securities Markets: Homework Help
- Money and Financial Institutions: Homework Help