About This Chapter
Manipulating Large Data Sets in Databases - Chapter Summary
We've put together this handy chapter on manipulating large data sets in databases so that you'll easily understand these subjects. Work through lessons on UNION vs. JOIN and grouping data in databases using ROLLUP and CUBE. If you have a hard time understanding any of the subjects, reach out to one of our experts through the Dashboard for assistance. The lesson quizzes and comprehensive chapter test are also a helpful way to ensure your understanding and readiness to move on. You can use any smartphone, tablet or computer to access these resources any time you'd like. This chapter has been designed to assist you in reaching these goals:
- Define SET operators in database management
- Use subqueries to manipulate data
- Discuss the use of multi-table inserts in databases
- Outline PIVOT and UNPIVOT in SQL
- Manipulate sets in database programming
1. SQL: UNION vs. JOIN
When you have to compare data from different tables, you have three choices. You can make a new table, or you can use either UNION or JOIN. This lesson shows you which of those two to use.
2. SQL: PIVOT & UNPIVOT
SQL is an important tool for manipulating information in today's world. In this lesson, we'll take a look at SQL, and two especially useful commands from the language, PIVOT and UNPIVOT.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Computer Science 204: Database Programming course
- Intro to Relational Database Management Systems
- Creating & Managing Database Tables
- Populating & Retrieving Data in Databases
- Manipulating Data in Databases
- Data Queries in Multiple Tables Using Joins
- Data Queries in Multiple Tables Using Subqueries
- Views & Indexes in Databases
- Modifying Tables in Databases
- Database Security