About This Chapter
Marketing Career Stages - Chapter Summary
Now that you've landed that first job, there's really nothing more to do, right? Wrong! That first job is just the beginning of your career. The lessons in this chapter will help you focus on managing and developing your marketing career, so you will be ready when its time to take the next step. Once you've completed this chapter, you'll understand:
- Career management and development
- Importance of lifelong learning
- The four career stages
- Making professional contacts
- The value of a mentor
Our experienced marketing instructors present a wide range of topics to help you advance your marketing career in the engaging video lessons throughout the chapter. Work at your own pace, and if you want to review individual topics, just use the Timeline found with each video. The self-assessment quiz accompanying each lesson is a great way to review key points and ensure you are getting the most out of each lesson. If you have any questions along the way, just ask one of our marketing experts. That promotion is just around the corner!
1. What Is Career Management and Development? - Definition and Purpose
Companies can invest in both their managers and employees through career management and development systems. These programs offer counseling, planning and workshops to help employees manage their careers.
2. Career Development Theories
Career theories help us work with others in making career decisions. This lesson will tell you about the most popular theories of career decision making.
3. Career Stages: Establishment, Advancement, Maintenance & Withdrawal
A career stage model explains the four stages that individuals pass through in their careers. The four stages consist of establishment, advancement, maintenance and withdrawal.
4. Networking for Career Success: How to Make Professional Contacts
Having a strong network of business contacts can really help out your career. But how do you build a network? In this lesson, we'll look at ways to make contacts, including tips for networking.
5. How to Find and Relate to a Career Mentor
A mentor can help a person advance in their career and give them advice when they are in difficult situations. Watch this lesson to learn how to find a mentor and how to nurture that relationship over time.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the High School Marketing for Teachers: Help & Review course
- How Organizations are Structured & Designed
- General Business Management
- Ethics and Social Responsibility in Organizations
- Business Law & Regulation
- Economic Basics
- Business and the Economy
- The Economy and the US Government
- Entrepreneurship & Types of Businesses
- Marketing Basics
- Product Pricing & Selling
- Product Development & Distribution
- Promotion & Advertising
- Selling & Customer Service
- Market Research and Segmentation
- Strategic Planning for Marketers
- Global Business Strategies and Challenges
- Business Communication
- Business Analytics
- Computer Basics for Business
- The Internet and Business
- Marketing Education
- Career Planning for High School Students
- Laying the Foundation for a Marketing Career
- Marketing Employment Skills
- Marketing Instruction & Assessment