About This Chapter
Marketing Channels & Distribution - Chapter Summary
This comprehensive marketing chapter covers topics related to marketing channels and distribution. As you progress through the chapter, you'll become familiar with the functions of marketing channels and channel intermediaries, as well as various distribution channels and strategies. You can solidify your comprehension of these marketing concepts by taking the accompanying self-assessment quizzes and chapter exam. Print the included lesson transcripts and access the material whenever and wherever it's convenient. When you're finished working through the chapter, you should be able to:
- Define marketing channels and evaluate their role in the marketplace
- Understand the function of channel intermediaries in business
- Evaluate different types of wholesale intermediaries and distribution channels
- Recognize effective strategies for retail and intensive distribution
- Assess current trends in non-store retailing
- Explain the benefits and challenges of multichannel retailing
1. Marketing Channel: Definition and Function in the Marketplace
In this lesson, we'll learn about the marketing channel, which allows producers to deliver their product to consumers in the correct quantity, type and location. Without help from additional channel members, most companies would not be able to increase their target market reach and satisfy their customer needs.
2. Channel Intermediaries: Definition and Function in Business
Marketing managers must have an effective physical distribution strategy, and companies must be able to deliver their products to the consumer. Most managers utilize channel intermediaries to help with transactional, logistical and facilitating functions. Learn more about this process here.
3. Types of Wholesale Intermediaries
One of the challenges facing many manufacturers of consumer products is getting products in front of consumers. In this lesson, you'll learn about types of wholesale intermediaries and the roles they play in the product distribution process.
4. Retail Distribution Strategies
Retailers, such as department stores, discount stores and boutiques, sell most consumer products. In this lesson, you'll learn about different retail distribution strategies that manufacturers employ to get their products in front of consumers.
5. Non-Store Retailing: Types, Trends & Examples
Most individual consumers purchase products through retailers. Physical 'brick and mortar' stores are not the only type of retailing in the marketplace. In this lesson, you'll learn about retailing beyond traditional retail stores.
6. Multichannel Retailing: Definition, Benefits & Challenges
This lesson will identify the benefits of multichannel retailing, such as customer loyalty and improved analytics. We will also look at challenges, such as information security and personnel time. Examples of multichannel retailing will be given.
7. Distribution Channels in Marketing: Definition, Types & Examples
A distribution channel is a necessity in business. This lesson will discuss these channels, the types of distribution systems, and the goods and services that move along these channels.
8. Intensive Distribution: Definition, Strategy & Examples
There are many strategies that a supplier may use to distribute their product. This lesson will discuss what intensive distribution is and why suppliers use this strategy.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the TECEP Introduction to Marketing: Study Guide & Test Prep course
- Overview of Marketing
- Marketing Planning & Strategy
- Market Research & Analysis
- Marketing Environment Basics
- Pricing Strategies in Marketing
- Consumer Behavior, Satisfaction & Loyalty
- Segmentation, Targeting, & Position in Marketing
- Marketing Ethics Basics
- Business Marketing Overview
- Global Business Marketing
- Product & Service Management
- Supply Chains & Logistics in Marketing
- Direct Marketing Communications
- Integrated Marketing Communications Overview
- Marketing & Social Media
- Personal Selling Communication
- TECEP Introduction to Marketing Flashcards