About This Chapter
Marketing Regulations in Real Estate - Chapter Summary
Use this chapter as a comprehensive resource for understanding marketing regulations in real estate. Review fun lessons from home or on-the-go to boost your knowledge of the guidelines and restrictions associated with marketing in real estate. Lessons also cover unethical practices that could negatively impact buyers, sellers and renters. After completing this chapter, you will be prepared to:
- Describe advertising restrictions and how they apply to real estate
- Identify common environmental disclosures in real estate
- Define and describe the property condition disclosure statement
- Discuss Do Not Call regulations and privacy rights in real estate
- Share details about the legal boundaries of email marketing
- Explain how the Fair Housing Act of 1968 impacted real estate
- Differentiate between redlining, blockbusting and steering
This chapter offers a variety of resources you can use to ensure you know the marketing regulations of real estate. In addition to reviewing the lessons, you can assess your knowledge by taking short multiple-choice quizzes. If you have questions about content covered in the lessons, send them to our experts. Get a broader review of lesson concepts by taking the comprehensive chapter exam.
1. How Advertising Restrictions Apply to Real Estate
When an advertisement showcases a home for sale, words that may help secure a sale may be restricted under the law. Learn what can and cannot be included in real estate ads.
2. Environmental Disclosures in Real Estate
Although state laws vary, there are common environmental disclosures that sellers and agents must provide to buyers. In this lesson, we will look at some of these common disclosures along with how and when the buyer receives the information.
3. Property Condition Disclosure Statement: Definition & Examples
Sellers must disclose any known issues with the property before a real estate sale is completed. Let's look at sellers' and their agent's responsibilities and liabilities with disclosing common defects or issues.
4. Privacy Rights & Do Not Call Regulations in Real Estate Sales
Hefty penalties can be levied if a real estate buyer or seller's consumer rights are violated. This lesson will review and explain a consumer's rights in real estate transactions. Readers will learn about what should and should not be disclosed in a real estate transaction.
5. Legal Guidelines for Email Marketing
Many businesses use email marketing campaigns because they are low cost and easily updated. However, email marketing campaigns must be conducted within certain legal boundaries. This lesson explains the main provisions of the CAN-SPAM Act.
6. The Impact of the Fair Housing Act of 1968 on Real Estate
Federal fair housing laws prohibit certain types of discrimination in the sale or rental of housing. In this lesson, you'll learn about the Fair Housing Act of 1968 and its amendments and exemptions.
7. Redlining, Blockbusting & Steering: Definition & Differences
Real estate buyers, sellers, renters and professionals must be cognizant of certain unethical and illegal practices involving real estate transactions. In this lesson, you'll learn about redlining, blockbusting, and steering. A short quiz follows.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the North Carolina Real Estate Broker License: Study Guide course
- Agency Relationships
- Types of Contracts
- Real Estate Contracts
- Real Property Ownership
- Land Use: Restrictions, Regulations & Government Control
- Finance & Financing in Real Estate
- Government Oversight in Real Estate
- Real Property Measurement & Valuation
- Conveyance of Real Property
- Property Management & Tenant Rights
- Real Estate Calculations
- North Carolina Real Estate License Law
- General Real Estate Topics
- North Carolina Real Estate Broker License Flashcards