About This Chapter
Mass Communication & Book Publishing - Chapter Summary
You'll study mass communication and book publishing in this professionally designed chapter. The lessons cover the history and evolution of books, the impact of the printing press and the value of books in the digital age. Along with each lesson, we've included a multiple-choice self-assessment quiz so you can be sure you're ready to move on to new topics. These learning materials are self-paced and available on any tablet, smartphone or computer. Our chapter is designed to help you achieve the following objectives:
- Discuss the evolution and history of books
- Explain how the printing press changed the world
- Identify the role of books in mass communication
- Understand the value of books in the digital age
- Outline modern and historical censorship in the book industry
- Detail the types and usage of books in the digital age
1. History & Evolution of Books
Have you ever wondered how books were invented? In this lesson, we will look at the surprising history of books, including the four main origins. We will also find out how books helped people communicate on a worldwide scale.
2. How the Printing Press Changed the World
When you think of inventions that changed the world, you may think of farming tools or the wheel, or even the Internet. However, few can truly compare to the humble printing press.
3. Understanding the Role of Books in Mass Communication
This lesson is going to go over how books play a role in mass communication, even to this day. You'll also learn about some of the many different types and categories of books around.
4. Recognizing the Values of Books in the Digital Age
The digital age has changed the way we consume information and media. In this lesson, we discuss what the digital age has meant for books and their value in society.
5. Historical & Modern Censorship in the Book Industry
Print media has been subject to various forms of censorship for thousands of years. This lesson explores the characteristics of censorship, the methods used to carry it out, and examples of its practice in historical and modern times.
6. Books in the Digital Age: Types & Usage
Digital technologies have caused major shifts in the book and publishing industry, adding both strengths and challenges. In this lesson, learn more about books in the digital age, including e-publishing, platforms, and print-on-demand.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Communications 104: Intro to Mass Communications I course
- Introduction to Mass Communication
- Models & Theories of Mass Communication
- History & Culture of Mass Communication
- Mass Communication & Newspaper Publishing
- Mass Communication & Magazine Publishing
- The Telegraph, Telephone & Radio in Mass Communications
- Mass Communication & The Film Industry
- Mass Communication & Television
- The Internet, Social Media & Mass Communication
- Mass Communication & Modern Society