About This Chapter
Mass Media & Communication - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, you'll review a series of short and expertly taught lessons on the relationship between mass media and communication. Work through these lessons at your own pace to examine the effects of mass media on public opinion, modern society, public policy, political attitudes and much more. Following each lesson is a short quiz, and the chapter concludes with a multiple-choice exam that's designed to solidify your comprehension of the material. The chapter is accessible at any time of day or night, which helps you study whenever it's convenient. Completing this chapter can help you:
- Compare types of mass media
- Describe the characteristics of U.S. mass media during the 1950s
- Define the concept of media convergence
- Evaluate content, corporations and computers in terms of media convergence
- Discuss the ways in which modern society is impacted by mass media
- Evaluate common media effects
- Interpret examples and approaches to mass media research
- Tell how mass media reports can impact public opinion and policy
- Recognize types of media biases and criticism
- Understand how the public's political attitudes can be influenced by the media
- Analyze several gender stereotypes that are portrayed in the media
1. What Is Mass Media? - Definition, Types, Influence & Examples
Mass media is the means used to communicate to the general public. In this lesson, you will learn the different platforms for mass media and the influence that mass media has on society.
2. Mass Media in the U.S. in the 1950s
The ways in which people got information changed dramatically during the 1950s. While no technology would be completely doomed, this lesson shows how the seeds were planted for a revolution in media in the decades to come.
3. What Is Media Convergence? - Definition & Explanation
Have you ever watched TV, surfed the internet, and texted a friend at the same time? Welcome to the world of convergence! In this lesson, you'll learn more about media convergence in all of its forms.
4. Influence of Media Reports on Public Policy and Opinion
Whether a consumer, producer, or policymaker, everyone is impacted by information distributed through mass media. In this lesson, we are going to talk about media and economic decisions, and see how these interact.
5. Media Bias & Criticism: Definition, Types & Examples
Media bias occurs when a media outlet reports a news story in a partial or prejudiced manner. There are many different types of media bias. This lesson takes a look at the most common types of media bias.
6. Media's Influence on the Public's Political Attitudes
Most people make their political decisions based on impressions gained from the media. This lesson assesses the effect of media, especially newer forms of media, on the public's political attitudes.
7. Gender Stereotypes in the Media
Gender stereotypes, like those portrayed in the media, have a powerful influence on how we express ourselves and understand others. Through this lesson, you will learn how to define these stereotypes and explore some examples of how they shape our social lives.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Communications 106: Communication in the Digital Age course
- Introduction to Communication
- Mass Communication Theories & Models
- Media Literacy Fundamentals
- Economics of Mass Media
- Digital Communication Tools
- Impact of Digital Communication
- Digital Media Regulation
- Print Media in the Digital Age
- Television & Movies in the Digital Age
- Video Games in the Digital Age