About This Chapter
Math Activities & Games with Food - Chapter Summary
This teacher resource chapter on math games and activities involving food is a handy tool you can access any time on your mobile device or computer to work on your teaching plans. Here you can review activities using jelly beans and popcorn for hands-on and interactive learning. If you want to discuss these resources with one of our experts, feel free to reach out to one of them through the Dashboard.
How It Helps
- Encourages confidence: Students who have the chance to solve math problems using activities and games have a greater opportunity to grasp these concepts.
- Promotes cooperative learning: Use these games and activities with student groups to encourage them to work together while learning and understanding new subjects.
- Builds knowledge: After learning about kitchen math in class and working with these topics during game time, your students should feel more comfortable with measuring and conversions.
Once you complete this chapter, you should be able to:
- Use kitchen math lesson plans to teach your students
- Teach measuring and conversions
- Lead your students in kitchen math games and activities
- Utilize math lesson plans involving popcorn
- Work with your students on math subjects using jelly bean activities
1. Kitchen Math Lesson Plan
This lesson plan uses cooking and recipes to explore mass and volume as well as volume conversions. The plan includes full class instruction, small group hands-on exploration, and partner practice.
2. Kitchen Math: Measuring & Conversions
Math is everywhere, even in the kitchen! Recipes call for specific amounts of ingredients and sometimes require conversions between units. In this lesson, we learn about the different measurement equipment and conversions used for cooking and baking.
3. Kitchen Math Games & Activities
It's important to provide real-world situations in which students can practice and apply their math skills. Use these kitchen math games and activities to motivate students to master mathematical concepts.
4. Popcorn Math Lesson Plan
Popcorn provides a fun and tasty way for learning a variety of math concepts, including estimation and bar graphs. This lesson develops those concepts, and the results can be eaten when you're done!
5. Jelly Bean Math Activities
Although only a simple piece of candy, jelly beans can provide for a great variety of activities in an elementary level math class. These activities will be completed individually and in groups.
6. M&M Math Activities for Middle School
Use these activities and a package of chocolate candies to get your middle school students excited about math. In these activities, students will practice various topics covered in middle school math.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Other chapters within the Math Games for Elementary School course
- Elementary Math Games & Activities
- Numbers Games & Activities for Kids
- Arithmetic Activities & Games
- 1st Grade Math Games & Exercises
- 2nd Grade Math Games & Activities
- 3rd Grade Math Games & Activities
- 4th Grade Math Games & Activities
- 5th Grade Math Games & Activities
- 6th Grade Math Games & Activities
- Basic Math Drills for Kids Lesson Plans
- Elementary Math Problems & Drills
- Holiday Math Activities