About This Chapter
Math Expressions and Formulas - Chapter Summary
Prepare for the GED exam's mathematical reasoning section by learning how to interpret mathematical notation and set up math problems. Lessons in this chapter cover:
- Uses of parentheses
- Order of operations
- Arithmetic expressions
- Mathematical formulas
Our knowledgeable instructors deliver content in the form of entertaining video lessons that last between five and ten minutes each. If you'd rather access instruction in a written format, there are also transcripts. Both resources include several mnemonic devices, examples and sample problems to help you understand which mathematical formulas to use and when. Moreover, the corresponding multiple-choice quizzes can be used to assess your knowledge of the material before, during and after you've viewed the lessons.
Math Expressions and Formulas - Chapter Objectives
The mathematical reasoning portion of the GED test is comprised of two parts, and you'll be allotted 90 minutes to complete them. Approximately half of the test questions assess your algebraic problem-solving skills, while the other half are designed to test your quantitative problem-solving abilities through a series of matching, multiple-choice, hot spot and fill-in-the-blank question formats.
Topics covered in this chapter are applicable to all math test questions, since you'll need a basic understanding of arithmetic expressions and processes to answer them. Your scores on the mathematical reasoning portion will be combined with your results on the social studies, science and language arts sections to determine whether or not you possess the academic skills equivalent to those of a high school graduate.
1. Parentheses in Math: Rules & Examples
Watch this video lesson to learn how parentheses are used in math. Learn how to read them as multiplication and how they let you know which numbers to work with first.
2. What Is The Order of Operations in Math? - Definition & Examples
The order of operations is the steps used to simplify any mathematical expression. In this video, learn how to solve problems using these steps and easy tricks to remember them.
3. What is the Correct Setup to Solve Math Problems?: Writing Arithmetic Expressions
When it comes to solving math word problems, there is a correct way of setting up the problem and labeling the various parts of the problem so that you can solve the problem easily. Watch this video lesson to learn how you can do it.
4. Understanding and Evaluating Math Formulas
With all the formulas out there, how do you know which one to pick? And how do you read formulas anyways? Watch this video lesson and you will find the answers to these questions.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the College Algebra: Help and Review course
- Basic Arithmetic
- Overview of Real Numbers
- Foundations and Linear Equations: Help and Review
- Overview of Linear Equations
- Matrices and Absolute Value: Help and Review
- Inequalities: Help and Review
- Using FOIL, Graphing Parabolas & Solving Quadratics to Factor: Help & Review
- Properties of Polynomial Functions
- Working with Quadratic Equations
- Complex Numbers: Help and Review
- Exponents and Exponential Expressions
- Overview of Exponents
- Exponents and Polynomials: Help and Review
- Algebraic Expressions and Equations
- Rational Expressions: Help and Review
- Working with Rational Expressions
- Functions: Help and Review
- Exponentials and Logarithms: Help and Review
- Probability Mechanics: Help and Review
- Calculations, Ratios & Proportions
- Percent Notation
- Data, Statistics & Probability
- Sequences and Series: Help and Review
- Basic Number Sense and Operations
- Overview of Roots & Radical Expressions
- Overview of Continuity in Mathematics
- Overview of Mathematical Limits