About This Chapter
Math Terms for Elementary School - Chapter Summary
The lessons in this chapter can be used to reinforce and clarify the math terms your elementary school students have been learning in class. These engaging and concise video lessons define many essential math definitions and concepts and provide illustrative examples so your students can fully understand them. Your students' knowledge can be further reinforced with lesson-specific quizzes and a final chapter exam.
Who It's For
Kids who need extra help with math terms will benefit from the lessons in this chapter. There's no faster or easier way to learn elementary-level math terms.
- Students who have fallen behind in understanding basic math concepts and definitions
- Students who have learning disabilities or need a little extra help learning about math terms
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning math (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class and need to catch up
- Students who need an efficient and convenient way to learn about math vocabulary
- Students who struggle to understand their math teachers
- Students who attend schools without extra math resources
How It Works
- Find lessons in the chapter that cover math topics your student needs to learn or review.
- Press play and watch the video lesson with your student or read through the text lesson.
- Refer to the video transcripts and highlighted vocab words to reinforce learning about math concepts.
- Test your student's understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Verify your student understands these math terms by completing the Math Terms for Elementary School chapter exam.
1. Definition of Like Denominators
This lesson will help you to understand what it means for fractions to have like denominators. We will be using both numbers and pictures to aid you in this understanding.
2. What Does Attribute in Math Mean? - Definition & Examples
When you list traits about a certain object, you are identifying attributes about the object. In this lesson, we will go over what an attribute means in math.
3. What is Breadth in Math?
Do you know what the term ~'width~' means? Well, if you know what width means, you already know what the term ~'breadth~' means! In this lesson, we'll talk about what breadth means in math and how it can help us find the area of shapes.
4. What is a Chord in Math?
In this lesson, you will learn what a chord of a circle is in math. You will also learn other basic parts of a circle, including the diameter and radius. Finally, you will see which of these parts is a chord and which is not.
5. What is a Cluster in Math? - Definition & Examples
In math, there is something called a cluster. This usually happens on a graph when there are several numbers, or data points, that seem to gather in a certain area. In this lesson, you will learn how to identify a cluster when you see one.
6. What Does Difference in Math Mean?
In this lesson, you'll learn what the meaning of difference is when used in math situations and take a look at several examples. There will be a quiz at the end to help you test your understanding.
7. What is a Dimension in Math?
When trying to fit one thing into another, it is important to know dimensions. If you don't measure the directions correctly, the items might not fit the way you want them to. Be sure to measure all three ways so you are sure everything will be okay.
8. What is an Edge in Math?
Geometric figures have different parts. There are faces (surfaces), vertices (corners) and edges. An edge is important to know for various reasons. For instance, you don't want to fall over an edge, do you?
9. What is an Element in Math?
You may have talked about the word element in your science class. Did you know that the word element is also a math word? We will talk about what this word means and share some creative, fun examples!
10. Equation Lesson for Kids: Definition & Examples
In this lesson you will learn about mathematical equations. You will find out what equations are composed of and how to solve them. There will also be a practice problem for you to try!
11. Exponent Definition: Lesson for Kids
In this lesson we will learn about exponents. Every exponent must have a base! We will go over the definitions and examples of an exponent and a base.
12. What is a Face in Math?
Did you know there are faces in math? In this lesson, you will learn what a face in math means, the types of faces of math, and how to find different faces of math around you. Let's get going and learn all about faces in math!
13. What is a Function in Math? - Definition & Examples
Have you ever gotten candy out of a vending machine? Getting candy from a vending machine is similar to using a function in math! In this lesson, we'll explore the definition of a function and some examples.
14. What is Infinity in Math?
Infinity is not a number, it is not a place, and it is not something that is just really big. In this lesson, we will talk about what infinity really is!
15. Integers Lesson for Kids
What do football, the temperature, and money have in common? They all use integers! In this lesson, you will learn what an integer is, how to use them, and several real-life examples of integers.
16. What is an Interval in Math?
In English, an interval is a period of time between events. In math, intervals are numbers that are between two other numbers. But what exactly is included and how can we use math symbols to show that? In this lesson, we'll learn what intervals are and how they can be written.
17. Median Definition: Lesson for Kids
You collect, interpret, and use all types of data everyday and you probably don't even realize you are doing it. With a data set of numbers, one type of calculation is the median. In this lesson, we will look at the median, which gives you a unique look at data and is so easy to determine.
18. What Does Mode Mean in Math? - Lesson for Kids
When playing sports, eating candies, or taking tests, sometimes it is good to find the number that comes up most often. Sometimes you can just guess, but sometimes you need to make a list.
19. Definition of Net in Math
Have you ever been fishing and caught a fish that was so big that you needed a net to help you get it into the boat? Well, math has something called 'net' too, but it doesn't catch fish. What is it then? Find out in this lesson.
20. What Does Outcome in Math Mean?
In this lesson, you will learn what an outcome is in math. You will learn the difference between simple and compound events as well as how to find the number of possible outcomes in a compound event.
21. What is a Point in Math? - Definition & Example
Points are important parts of math, and they can be used to label shapes and angles on a plane. Let's explore points a little further and take a look at some examples.
22. What is a Proper Factor in Math?
In this lesson, we will review how to find the factors of a certain number. Then we will learn how to determine which of those factors are proper factors.
23. Proportion Lesson for Kids: Definition & Examples
Have you ever had to figure out how much half of something was--like when you had to split your cookies with a friends? If so, you have worked with proportion. Let's learn more about proportion and look at some examples of this mathematical concept.
24. What Does Quantity Mean in Math?
How many marbles are in the bag? How much money is in the piggy bank? These questions, and other similar questions typically asked in math, have to do with quantity. In this lesson, you will learn about what the word quantity means.
25. Quotient Lesson for Kids: Definition & Rule
A quotient is reached by dividing two numbers. The quotient is also called the answer! In this lesson, you will learn how to find a quotient using simple division.
26. What is a Revolution in Math?
The word revolution has various meanings, but it has a special meaning in math. In this lesson, you will learn the definition of this term and you will be able to recognize a revolution when you see one!
27. 5th Grade Math Vocabulary: Lesson for Kids
In this lesson, we will learn about some of the most important vocabulary words you will use when learning 5th grade math. Find out the difference between and x-axis and y-axis, how an exponent is related to a base number, and more by reading on.
28. 4th Grade Math Vocabulary: Lesson for Kids
This lesson contains some of the words that are often used in 4th grade math lessons. These are words that you will continue to use through future math lessons in future years
29. 3rd Grade Math Vocabulary: Lesson for Kids
This lesson contains some of the words that are often used in 3rd Grade math lessons. These are words that you will continue to use in future math lessons throughout the years.
30. 2nd Grade Math Vocabulary: Lesson for Kids
This lesson contains some of the words that are often used in 2nd Grade math lessons. These are words that you will continue to use through future math lessons in the coming years.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Math for Kids course
- Numbers for Elementary School
- Geometry for Elementary School
- Fractions for Elementary School
- Math Basics for Elementary School
- Statistics for Elementary School
- Number Properties for Elementary School
- Algebra for Elementary School
- Math Patterns for Elementary School
- History of Math for Elementary School
- Working with Numbers for Elementary School
- Types of Numbers for Elementary School
- Measurements for Elementary School
- Working with Data for Elementary School
- Representing Numbers for Elementary School
- Types of Data for Elementary School
- Math Strategies for Elementary School
- Fraction Operations for Elementary School
- Shapes for Elementary School
- Negative Numbers for Elementary School
- Decimals for Elementary School
- Lines & Angles for Elementary School
- Multiplication for Elementary School