About This Chapter
Mathematical Concepts Overview - Chapter Summary
Get an overview of basic algebra, geometry, trigonometry and probability concepts with this collection of engaging video lessons. As you follow along with our expert math instructors, you'll define fundamental math terminology and learn how to solve a variety of math problems. Studying this chapter can help you:
- Define algebraic variables and functions
- Distribute algebraic expressions and evaluate different math formulas
- Recognize geometric points, lines, angles and shapes
- Explain the applications of trigonometry
- Identify the measures of central tendency (mean, median and mode)
- Calculate confidence coefficients, levels and intervals
- Determine independent and dependent event probability
- Assess the functions of process flowcharts and Pareto analysis
The accompanying self-assessment quizzes give you an opportunity to practice solving math problems on your own. You can take the chapter exam to reinforce your understanding of the material, and if you need any extra help, you can submit questions to our math instructors at any time. Use your computer or mobile device to access the chapter's resources, and print the lesson transcripts if you want to study offline.
1. What is a Variable in Algebra?
Did you ever encounter something like a + b = c and wonder how all these letters snuck into a math problem? In this lesson, we'll learn about variables, as well as other parts of equations, constants and coefficients.
2. Distributing Algebraic Expressions with Numbers and Variables
So, you can simplify an algebraic expression when you need to distribute a number? Great! But what if you need to distribute a variable or a variable with an exponent? Learn how in this lesson.
3. Algebraic Function: Definition & Examples
An algebraic function is a type of equation that uses mathematical operations. An equation is a function if there is a one-to-one relationship between its x-values and y-values.
4. Understanding and Evaluating Math Formulas
With all the formulas out there, how do you know which one to pick? And how do you read formulas anyways? Watch this video lesson and you will find the answers to these questions.
5. Points, Lines & Angles in Geometry
After watching this video lesson, you should understand the basic terms that form the foundation of geometry. Learn what a point is, what a line is, what an angle is, and learn about a special type of angle called a right angle.
6. What is Perimeter? - Definition & Formula
In mathematics, the perimeter is the distance around a two-dimensional shape. The formula for finding the perimeter of certain shapes will be discussed in this lesson, and there will be some examples to help you understand how to calculate the perimeter.
7. What is Area in Math? - Definition & Formula
Area is the size of a two-dimensional surface. This lesson will define area, give some of the most common formulas, and give examples of those formulas. A quiz at the end of the lesson will allow you to work out some area problems on your own.
8. How to Calculate the Volumes of Basic Shapes
Squares pegs = square holes. Triangular pegs = triangular holes. But where does a sphere go? In this lesson, review volumes of common shapes while contrasting a sphere and a cylinder - after all, they both go into the circular hole... right?
9. What is Trigonometry? - Functions, Formulas & Applications
There is more to trigonometry than just sines and cosines. It can help when you need to build certain things or when you need to calculate certain distances. Learn about the usefulness of trigonometry and how triangles and circles are tied together.
10. What is Economics? - Definition & Types
Few things affect the day-to-day lives of everyone more than the economy. In this lesson, you'll learn about economics, including some of its foundational topics and concepts. You'll also have a chance to take a quiz after the lesson.
11. The Fundamental Principles of Accounting
Accounting is an art, but just as with any form of art, you need the right tools to make your masterpiece. For accounting, those tools are the seven major accounting principles. In this lesson, you will learn what those principles are and what they are used for.
12. Basic Accounting Terms & Phrases
Having a basic understanding of fundamental accounting terms is a good idea for everyone. In this lesson, we'll learn some of the terminology and concepts used in basic accounting.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Certified Safety Professional (CSP): Exam Prep & Study Guide course
- Core Concepts in Anatomy
- Fundamental Concepts in Chemistry
- Overview of Physics Concepts
- Microbiology for Safety Professionals
- Statistics for Interpreting Data
- Principles of Research Methodology
- Management Planning & Strategic Analysis
- Management Systems for Safety Professionals
- Organizational Leadership & Management Theories
- Motivation, Discipline & Communication in the Workplace
- Fundamental Concepts in Project Management
- Budgeting & Finance for Safety Professionals
- Principles of Risk Management for Safety Professionals
- Safety Management for Safety Professionals
- Workplace Hazards & Protective Equipment
- Emergency Preparedness & Security for Safety Professionals
- Occupational Health & Ergonomics
- Environmental Management Systems for Safety Professionals
- Workplace Training & Education
- Law & Ethics for Safety Professionals