About This Chapter
Mathematical Properties and Mixed Operations - Chapter Summary
These engaging text and video lessons help your students learn more about the commutative, associative and distributive properties. Designed by excerpt instructors, your student will be able to complete practice problems related to the order of operations in math, as see steps for subtracting, adding, dividing and multiplying decimals. These lessons will prepare your student to:
- Use the commutative properties of addition and multiplication
- Give examples of the associative property and distributive property
- Identify the order of operations as it's used in mathematics
- Add, subtract and multiply whole numbers together in problems
- Perform the four basic mathematical functions with decimals, fractions and mixed numbers
After going through each lesson, have your student take the corresponding assessment quiz so you can gauge their understanding. Our printable lesson transcripts make handy study guides your student can review offline any time. If your student requires additional help, contact one of our instructors for assistance.
1. Commutative Property of Addition: Definition & Examples
In this video lesson, we talk about the commutative property of addition and what it means when you are adding numbers together. Learn how it can help you solve addition problems faster.
2. Commutative Property of Multiplication: Definition & Examples
In this video lesson, we talk about the commutative property of multiplication. We will see how it works in action and what it means for you when you are solving multiplication problems.
3. The Associative Property: Definition and Examples
There are three basic number properties that help to form the backbone of algebra. One of those properties is the associative property. This lesson will define the associative property and give some examples of how it works.
4. Distributive Property: Definition, Use & Examples
After completing this lesson, you will be able to state the distributive property and apply it to various types of problems. You will also be able to accurately perform the mathematical operations that are involved with the distributive property.
5. What Is The Order of Operations in Math? - Definition & Examples
The order of operations is the steps used to simplify any mathematical expression. In this video, learn how to solve problems using these steps and easy tricks to remember them.
6. Order of Operations with Whole Numbers: Lesson for Kids
In math we work with four main operations: addition, subtraction, multiplication and division. But what happens if we're asked to solve a problem that mixes them together? Well in this lesson, you'll learn to add, subtract, multiply and divide whole numbers when they appear together in problems.
7. Add, Subtract, Multiply & Divide Decimals
In this lesson, you'll learn about that tiny dot we call a decimal point, which is used to show part of a whole number. While having fun with some real-life problems, you'll learn how to add, subtract, multiply, and divide with the decimal point.
8. Add, Subtract, Multiply & Divide Fractions & Mixed Numbers
Fractions and mixed numbers are very important in math. Do you know how to use them? In this lesson you'll learn how to work with fractions and mixed numbers while using the four basic operations of arithmetic: addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ISEB Common Entrance Exam at 11+ Math: Study Guide & Test Prep course
- Introduction to Numbers
- Place Value and Rounding
- Addition and Subtraction
- Multiplication and Division
- Factors and Prime Numbers
- Using Fractions
- Working with Decimals & Percents
- Ratios and Proportion
- Understanding Algebraic Expressions
- Basics of Measurement
- Geometry and the Properties of Shapes
- Basics of Statistics
- ISEB Common Entrance Exam at 11+ Math Flashcards