About This Chapter
Mathematical Reasoning - Chapter Summary
By mastering this chapter, you could have a handy 'toolbox' of reasoning skills ready to use throughout the math section of the CAHSEE. The included lessons address the methods that can help guide your progress through this portion of the exam. The lessons in this chapter present the following:
- General math patterns
- Deductive and inductive reasoning
- Justifying math conjectures
This chapter's video lessons offer guidelines that you may turn to in many different types of math problems. Practice problems and quizzes can give you authentic rehearsal in these skills to make sure that you're ready to put them into play on test day.
CAHSEE Math Objectives
The California High School Exit Examination is designed to make sure that you have the necessary skills when you graduate from high school. The two math sections of the test contain about 46 multiple-choice questions each. This chapter's lessons could offer support in many areas of the test, especially in the mathematical reasoning strand, which constitutes about 10% of the math exam. Study.com's math reasoning lessons cover the main topics that will appear on the CAHSEE. Some of those objectives include:
- Finding and generalizing math patterns
- Sorting and organizing important information in math
- Comparing and using deductive and inductive reasoning in geometry
- Making and justifying conjectures in math
- Applying strategies used to similar problems
- Using estimation to show whether an answer is reasonable
- Estimating unknowns graphically and using logical reasoning to solve for them
The math section of the CAHSEE contains multiple-choice questions that will check the strength of your mathematical reasoning. Our multiple-choice quizzes can not only give you valuable test-taking practice, but you might even see the same sorts of questions that will appear on the exam.
1. Recognizing & Generalizing Patterns in Math
Being able to recognize patterns is one of the most important aspects of studying math, and one that has definite advantages in other fields of study. In this lesson, we'll look at how to recognize the most common patterns in math: sequences.
2. Identifying & Organizing Relevant Information in Math
When you are faced with a word problem, you need to be able to sift through the words to find what is mathematically relevant. Watch this video lesson to find out how.
3. Inductive & Deductive Reasoning in Geometry: Definition & Uses
Watch this video lesson, and you will learn how important inductive and deductive reasoning is in the field of mathematics, especially when dealing with proofs in geometry. Learn how these two fundamental forms of reasoning give rise to formal theorems.
4. Generalizing Mathematical Results & Strategies
Math is all about building on what you know. Once you have figured out one math concept, you can then use it to help you solve even more complicated problems. You can also use that math concept to figure out other math concepts.
5. Verifying Calculated Results with Estimation
As enjoyable as math can be, it is sometimes hard to know if you calculated everything correctly. Wouldn't it be nice if there were an easy way to check your answers? In this lesson, you'll learn how to use estimation to double check your work.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the CAHSEE Math Exam: Test Prep & Study Guide course
- Number Theory & Basic Arithmetic
- Problems with Decimals and Fractions
- Problems with Percents
- Problems with Radical Expressions & Equations
- Problems with Algebraic Expressions and Equations
- Algebraic Linear Equations & Inequalities
- Problems with Exponents
- Overview of Functions
- Rational Expressions & Practice
- Calculations with Ratios, Percent & Proportions
- Understanding Matrices & Absolute Value
- Quadratics & Polynomials
- Geometry: Graphing Basics
- Graphing on the Coordinate Plane
- Measurement in Math
- Properties of Shapes
- Triangles, the Pythagorean Theorem & Congruency
- Perimeter, Area & Volume in Geometry
- Statistics, Probability & Working with Data
- Basic Mathematical Logic
- CAHSEE Math Exam Flashcards