About This Chapter
Who's it for?
Anyone who needs help learning or mastering high school precalculus material will benefit from taking this course. There is no faster or easier way to learn high school precalculus. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who have fallen behind in understanding mathematical sequences and series
- Students who struggle with learning disabilities or learning differences, including autism and ADHD
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning math (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who need an efficient way to learn about mathematical sequences and series
- Students who struggle to understand their teachers
- Students who attend schools without extra math learning resources
How it works:
- Find videos in our course that cover what you need to learn or review.
- Press play and watch the video lesson.
- Refer to the video transcripts to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Verify you're ready by completing the Mathematical Sequences and Series chapter exam.
Why it works:
- Study Efficiently: Skip what you know, review what you don't.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging animations and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Use the Mathematical Sequences and Series chapter exam to be prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any mathematical sequences and series question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: Watch videos on any web-ready device.
Students will review:
In this chapter, you'll learn the answers to questions including:
- What are mathematical sequences?
- How and when do I use factorial, sigma and summation notation?
- What do I do to calculate an arithmetic or geometric series
- What are the recursive rules for arithmetic, algebraic and geometric sequences?
- What are uses and proofs?
- How do I find the value of an annuity?
- How do I use the binomial theorem to expand a binomial?
1. What is a Mathematical Sequence?
Math is often the most fun when it acts like a puzzle to be solved. The branch of math where this is the most true involves sequences. Get an introduction to the basics and important vocabulary, as well as learn where sequences appear in nature!
2. Introduction to Sequences: Finite and Infinite
In this video lesson, we will learn about the many patterns that are possible in sequences. See how some sequences stop after a while and how some sequences never stop.
3. How to Use Factorial Notation: Process and Examples
Watch this video lesson to learn about factorial notation. Understand what it means so that you can handle it like a pro. Also see what happens when we divide factorials.
4. Summation Notation and Mathematical Series
The capital Greek letter sigma might be most recognizable as a common symbol in a fraternity or sorority, but it's used for some pretty cool math tricks too. In this lesson, learn how to use sigma for things like determining how many seats are in Michigan Stadium.
5. How to Use Series and Summation Notation: Process and Examples
Have you ever seen a sideways M on a math test and wondered what it meant? In this video lesson, learn about the notation that we use to show that we want to sum something up. Learn how to use it and see some examples of it in use.
6. Understanding Arithmetic Series in Algebra
In this video lesson, we will learn about arithmetic series and how they work. Learn also how to find the pattern of an arithmetic sequence along with finding the sum.
7. How to Calculate an Arithmetic Series
In this lesson, you'll learn how to sum up any arithmetic sequence without having to add up each and every term. You'll never guess the circumstances that led to the discovery of this marvelous formula.
8. Arithmetic Sequences: Definition & Finding the Common Difference
Watch this video lesson to learn the pattern that defines an arithmetic sequence. Learn how to identify arithmetic sequences as well as find the pattern easily. You will also learn the formula you can use to write any number in your sequence.
9. How and Why to Use the General Term of an Arithmetic Sequence
Watch this video lesson to learn the formula for the general term of an arithmetic sequence. Also learn why this formula makes working with an arithmetic sequence much easier.
10. The Sum of the First n Terms of an Arithmetic Sequence
In this video lesson, you will learn an easy to use formula for summing an arithmetic sequence. Watch as we use the formula in action and then get a chance to use it yourself as you follow along.
11. How to Find and Classify an Arithmetic Sequence
Arithmetic sequences are everywhere, and with a few tricks you learn here, you could end up looking like a psychic the next time you go to a movie or a football game!
12. Working with Geometric Sequences
In this video lesson, we'll learn how to recognize when a sequence of numbers is a geometric sequence, how to find the common ratio and how to expand a sequence to as many numbers as we want!
13. Finding and Classifying Geometric Sequences
Want your YouTube video to get a lot of hits? Besides including a cute baby or an adorable cat, getting your video to have a big common ratio is the key. Learn what I'm talking about here!
14. How and Why to Use the General Term of a Geometric Sequence
Watch this video lesson to learn the formula for the general term of a geometric sequence. You will learn how to write your own general term given a particular geometric sequence as well as the reason for doing this.
15. The Sum of the First n Terms of a Geometric Sequence
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can find the total of a geometric sequence up to a certain point. Learn the formula that you can use to help you find your answer.
16. Understand the Formula for Infinite Geometric Series
Watch this video lesson to learn how to calculate the sum of an infinite geometric series. Learn about the interesting thing that happens when your common ratio is less than one.
17. How to Calculate a Geometric Series
If you're not satisfied with knowing how many views your YouTube video will get any one day and need to know how many total views you're getting, geometric series are for you! Learn more in this lesson.
18. Using Recursive Rules for Arithmetic, Algebraic & Geometric Sequences
When dealing with sequences in math, both algebraic and geometric, we come across recursive rules. Watch this video lesson to learn how recursion works and how you can use a recursive rule to get to your next number using a previous number.
19. Arithmetic and Geometric Series: Practice Problems
There are many different types of problems concerning series and sequences - including some that are pretty abstract. From bouncing balls to adding up odd numbers, test your skills here with additional arithmetic and geometric series practice!
20. Using Sigma Notation for the Sum of a Series
In math, we have a notation for a lot of things. When you need to sum up a series, we also have a notation for that. You will learn about this notation, called Sigma notation, in this video lesson.
21. Mathematical Induction: Uses & Proofs
Watch this video lesson to learn about mathematical induction and how you can use it to prove mathematical statements. See how it is similar to falling dominoes.
22. How to Find the Value of an Annuity
Want to see how much money you will have in the future if you make a set payment every month towards your annuity? Then watch this video lesson for the formula and how to use it.
23. How to Use the Binomial Theorem to Expand a Binomial
In this video lesson, you will see what the binomial theorem has in common with Pascal's triangle. Learn how you can use Pascal's triangle to help you to easily expand a binomial.
24. Special Sequences and How They Are Generated
Sequences are interesting things in math and in nature. The most interesting thing is that these sequences have a pattern to how they are generated. We will learn about a few of them in this video lesson.
25. Finite Set: Definition & Overview
After completing this lesson, you will be able to define what a finite set is and give examples of a finite set. You will also be able to explain the difference between a finite set and an infinite set.
26. Geometric Sequence: Formula & Examples
After completing this lesson, you will be able to recognize a geometric sequence. You will also be able to use the general formula for finding a term in a geometric sequence and will be able to write a custom formula for a given geometric sequence.
27. Inflection Point: Definition & Examples
In this lesson, we will learn about the inflection points and concavity of a function. Through definition and example, we will solidify our understanding of these concepts.
28. Combination: Definition, Formula & Examples
In this lesson, we'll learn how to identify combinations of objects. We'll also look at various formulas that allow us to calculate the number of possible combinations in a given scenario.
29. Permutation & Combination: Problems & Practice
In this lesson, we will practice solving various permutation and combination problems using permutation and combination formulas. We can continue our practice when we take a quiz at the end of the lesson.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the High School Precalculus: Help and Review course
- Working with Linear Equations: Help and Review
- Working With Inequalities: Help and Review
- Absolute Value Equations: Help and Review
- Working with Complex Numbers: Help and Review
- Systems of Linear Equations: Help and Review
- Mathematical Modeling: Help and Review
- Introduction to Quadratics: Help and Review
- Working with Quadratic Functions: Help and Review
- Geometry Basics for Precalculus: Help and Review
- Functions - Basics for Precalculus: Help and Review
- Understanding Function Operations: Help and Review
- Graph Symmetry: Help and Review
- Graphing with Functions: Help and Review
- Rate of Change: Help and Review
- Polynomial Functions Basics: Help and Review
- Higher-Degree Polynomial Functions: Help and Review
- Rational Functions & Difference Quotients: Help and Review
- Rational Expressions and Function Graphs: Help and Review
- Exponential Functions & Logarithmic Functions: Help and Review
- Using Trigonometric Functions: Help and Review
- Trigonometric Graphs: Help and Review
- Solving Trigonometric Equations: Help and Review
- Trigonometric Identities: Help and Review
- Trigonometric Applications in Precalculus: Help and Review
- Graphing Piecewise Functions: Help and Review
- Vectors, Matrices and Determinants: Help and Review
- Sets in Algebra: Help and Review
- Analytic Geometry and Conic Sections: Help and Review
- Polar Coordinates and Parameterizations: Help and Review
- Continuity: Help and Review
- Limits: Help and Review